OS and Community work

Artur F. Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Thu Oct 26 07:51:24 PDT 2000

Hello all:

This mail is the second part of a series, and concerns civic actions
with dispossessed powerless communities.

Coming from Berlin, I have proposed to some friends to begin
using OS (not necessarily OST) in our work with powerless
comunities (minorities, home less, children in trouble, dominated
women, etc, etc). We have decided to create an NGO, temporaraly
labbeled as "Resources for Human Devellopment" to take further this
work.

RHD (RDH in portuguese...) will refuse to do "charity" (giving
"things" to pleople, or opening and immediately closing space)
but will try to open space in a way that our "help" will no longer
be needed, because facilitators from the comunities we work with
will be prepared and willing to continue opening space within theirs and
other communities.

We would like to participate in a global network to share experiences
with others using OS in community work, WITH the philosophy stated
before (if there is one), or to participate in the creation of one.

Pleaase mail me through the list or privately

Regards

Artur

(also in the name of Raul, Veronique, Valeria and Vir Cabral

PS: If you are able to read portuguese, and want to know more
of these friends of mine (namelly, Raul) please take a look
at the (incipient) page "For a better world" at:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/2641/index.html