Participant Driven Open Space Principles and Laws

skaparlust skaparlust at swipnet.se
Tue Nov 28 01:18:39 PST 2000

Hi Joelle,
Thank you for your poetry! I see you in front of me as I write, as you stood
up in the circle in Berlin. And thank you for your insightful message.
I have never thought about changing the rules in Open Space, since I love
the simplicity and beauty of them and they work!! And I don´t think that
anyone in a meeting could come up with something like it. You can´t see the
forest for all trees, is a Swedish saying, i e. it is difficult to se the
big picture and to see what needs to change when you´re right in there.
When I work in small groups, to improve meeting participation and
effectiveness, I struggle with, should I make suggestions, for example:
listen to one person at a time,  share the time, talk in I-terms, all
questions and ideas are welcome, etc. or should I let it come from the
group. If I use a meetings analysis the group can go from what areas they
have agreed on that need to improve to formulate shared agreements.
Like you said, there are no right or wrong answers, I guess it is more a
question of the facilitators´ personality and intentions.

I have been thinking a bit more about why some of us, like to add dialogue
"rules", voluntary of course, to Open Space, and I think that has also very
much to do with personality and personal experiences. For myself I have
always, up until the last 10-15 years, been part of this group of people
that usually are silent in meetings, that have difficulties to take space,
because there was always someone else there. I knew I had interesting things
or questions to add, but I never had the guts or the selfconfidence to break
in. Which makes it even harder, you sit there and think of how to be heard,
when no one seems to be interested and that occupies your whole mind. I was
envious and also mad at the people that always talked and so easily became
the center of attention.An experience that, I believe,  for most people has
its deep roots in early childhood. This feeling of not being heard and seen,
still pops up under certain circumstances, and at times it did so in Berlin,
I am sorry to say. But on the other hand when I met people who were really
interested in what I had to say and when we had real dialogues, that made me
feel alive and very inspired.

For me the use of circles, rounds and of a talking piece, which I
encountered in the 80ties at Findhorn Foundation in Scotland was a real
breakthrough. Finally there was a model where my voice counted, as well as
everybody elses and I got full attention just because I was part of the
circle. It was a liberating experience.

Best regards
Agneta Falk