Participant Driven Open Space Principles and Laws

Ann Thompson anngalley at altavista.com
Mon Nov 27 18:05:03 PST 2000

I totally agree with you Don.  Anything else would not be Open Space and would tend to favor sub-groups within the large group..  The four principles and one law, cover the whole space, where self-organizing would then take over and create whatever needs to happen for that group, at that particular time.

Ann

On Mon, 27 November 2000, Don Ferretti wrote:

> Sender: OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
> To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
>       Novell_GroupWise; Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:50:40 -0800
> from listserv.boisestate.edu (132.178.176.118)
>       by smtp.c012.sfo.cp.net (209.228.13.220) with SMTP; 27 Nov 2000 12:52:56 -0800
> from listserv (IDENT:listserv at listserv [132.178.176.118])
>       by listserv.boisestate.edu (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id NAA23571;
>       Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:40:34 -0700
> from LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU by LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
>       (LISTSERV-TCP/IP release 1.8d) with spool id 132004 for
>       OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU; Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:40:34 -0700
> from placerws1.placer.ca.gov ([199.103.32.200]) by
>       listserv.boisestate.edu (8.9.3/8.9.3) with SMTP id NAA23562 for
>       <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>; Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:40:32 -0700
> FROM mail.placer.ca.gov BY placerws1.placer.ca.gov ; Mon Nov 27
>       12:58:47 2000 -0800
> from gwmail1.placer.ca.gov (gwmail1.placer.ca.gov [9.100.101.75]) by
>       mail.placer.ca.gov (8.8.7/8.8.7) with SMTP id MAA04134 for
>       <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>; Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:16:26 -0800
> from PLACERGW-Message_Server by gwmail1.placer.ca.gov with
>       Novell_GroupWise; Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:50:40 -0800
> Subject: Re: Participant Driven Open Space Principles and Laws
> From: Don Ferretti <dferrett at placer.ca.gov>
> Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:50:35 -0800
>
> If you did that (ask the participants to define groundrules) it would not be Open Space. It would be something else. The beauty of the 4 Principles and 1 Law (as I see it) is that once you state them and the theme, the group is good to go!  Self organization around topics that people care about really doesn't require anymore facilitation than that - Don Ferretti

> I am wondering if any of you out there on the list serve has ever
> facilitated an open space event where the participants themselves determine
> the principles/laws that will govern their open space event.  Maybe this
> type of approach would build a sense of ownership as to what would be
> important to respect and would take into account different cultural
> priorities.  I have thought about Francis Gastman's email about her/his
> experience in Berlin (which I found very illuminating).  Maybe if there was
> a space to consider key principles participants felt were important to
> respect during the Berlin open space event, something like the Law of Two
> Ears would have been deemed as important for all the participants to fully
> consider/respect.
> I use the concept of a Group Contract in non-open space events where
> participants are asked to define the ground rules they feel would be
> important to respect to ensure a successful workshop. We usually revisit
> the group contract every day to see how we are doing and if we need to add
> anything to the contract.
>
> Why not start an open space event asking participants to define the guiding
> [...]

Free Unlimited Internet Access! Try it now!
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/altavista/index.html