cross cultural sensitivity (long)

Meg Salter meg.salter at sympatico.ca
Thu Nov 16 07:19:08 PST 2000

What a great dialogue!!

Re multi-polarities:
Wasn't it Einstein who said that any real (intransigent) problem was never
solved by the mindset that created it? So any set of polarities is the
outcome of a particular mindset/consciousness.  And - as you said (and so
does complexity theory) the only way to move beyond that mindset is by
adding more diversity/ complexity - which will catapult you to the next
level of organization/ complexity/ consciousness....... or not!

Re peace... and war?
I have become a (sometime) student of Buddhism, where offers some
interesting perspectives. If you are going to act from compassion and loving
kindness for all beings, what does this mean in everyday life? It doesn't
always mean, for example, being sympathetic, or what we may tend to think of
as kind and accepting. It means being able to perceive what that being
needs, and offering it, with loving intent.It could be to offer a challenge,
or to stand with firm integrity, or to present alternatives. (Owen; Love =
challenge + acceptance). While I am by no means advocating violence and war,
I do know that as an ordinary parent, being loving sometimes means being
fully accepting, and sometimes means protection, and sometimes means telling
unpleasant truths. Now if only I could just get my timing right!!