os-training Hungary Day 3

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Thu Nov 30 15:41:40 PST 2000

Dear colleagues,
after Phase I ("Finding the Theme" on the evening of Day 1 and having
a complete os on "How will we create and sustain a healthy community"
all of Day 2) we entered Phase II (Open Space on the Open Space in
Phase I) and in the afternoon started Phase III (a
participant-organized os on "I, the open space-facilitator).
Phase II started on Day 3 with a classical opening (14 minutes!, the
whole bill) at 9 am. 16 issues were posted.Ten were worked on in 3
timeslots, reports were submitted. The first work group started at 10
am. Proceedings were shown in a "gallery" at 12:25 pm.
The start of the closing circle was delayed by several space invadors
(of the really sweet kind) who insisted on singing and dancing "I am
singing in the rain" as a birthday gift for the fellow who celebrated
this important event today.
Here is a little of what was shared in the closing circle at 12:55
pm:
Your frustration was gone, my arrived (after someone else had
reported on how yesterdays frustration had dissipated)
A lot of questions were answered
I understood it is more than just technology
What is a labyrinth for one person is a wide boulevard for another
Now I have a lot of questions and that is good
I am ready to try os with my client
I was a bumblebee and found that all groups discussed my issues
I feel full of love and peace

Before we were able to move from Phase II to Phase III after lunch
the invadors continued to show up by giving us a short 5 minute
lecture in change management (icebreaker, theory, practice,
evaluation) which really loosening up the group.
Felicia provided the transition between the Phases by giving a short
review of what we had done so far and where we were heading.
Michael introduced the design for Phase III:
creating 6 groups of 5 to 6 participants each to work out a design
for the open space "I, the open space-facilitator" (random groups)
distributing the information sheet (see attachment)
group planning session (80 minutes)
feedback from the 6 design groups in plenary: how was it?
choosing the group that will actually facilitate the os "I, the open
space-facilitator"
setting up the open space by the chosen group
parallel work of everyone else in self-organized-learning in the
learning spaces: library, cinema, handbook workshop, audio-room and
wherever else people felt that they could productively spend their
time
closing session at 6:15 pm

The closing circle was very intense. It took 45 minutes, lots of it
spent listening to the energetic silence. We used a roll of masking
tape that people picked up at the center when they had something to
share. For some, the tape was too "technical", so they chose a piece
of natural material from the center bowl. Several shared their
feelings about freedom, learning, love, energy, responsibitity, fear,
challenge, need of support from the group for the task ahead....it
was touching, deep, powerful and exciting.
Spirit appeared. What a unique honour to be part of this group.
Michael felt like being in a spaceship, Jo in a rising bubble,
Felicia in a floating vessel...pretty awsome.
During dinner and afterwards travelling in an ancient red bus to a
vineyard for a winetasting session the atmosphere was one of mutual
appreciation, friendship and joy at our varied backgrounds and
nationalities...cumulating in singing, boistrous joking and just
having plain fun.
We are just having a wonderful time reflecting on today and sending
you this message at shortly after midnight in the presence of a fine
bottle of red Hungarian wine.
We are grateful to be connected to all of you around our planet.
Tomorrow we will be in touch with the further transformation of
ourselves and the group of colleagues we are working with.
It will be a special experience for us to see them facilitate.
And you should be prepared for getting another report from
us...whenever that will be.
Love
michael, jo and felicia