Translations

Artur F. Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Tue Nov 28 15:07:16 PST 2000

Someone I meat in a list was so kind to send me a message in Portuguese.
But he DOES NOT speak Portuguese! He used an electronic translator.
The mail I have received was not in "perfect" Portuguese. But I
could understand it.

The good news is that maybe in a short time we will be able to communicate
with anyone on earth without having to know other languages (The
English major desire will come true ;-)

The bad news is that now, when one learns a foreign language, one is
obliged to understand that different people have imbedded different
culture notions that they received from language. For instance:
in English (I think) the plural of "one person" is "two (or more) people".
In Portuguese the plural of "uma pessoa" is "duas pessoas" and
one people refers always to the population of a nation or region,
and I can say "um povo" or "dois povos".  Believe me: this is
a completely different way of understanding "persons" and
"pleoples" (not better or worse - only different)

Anyway, if anyone wants to try the translator device it is at:

    www. freetranslation. com.

Have a nice translation.

Bye

Artur