John in Haiti

Francis Gastmans stp at online.be
Thu Nov 23 08:19:49 PST 2000

> i'm typing this message in petion-ville haiti.  we are three days before the
> presidential election and things are fragile.  yesterday, homemade bombs
> were exploded in three different areas of port au prince and petion-ville
> killing several and injuring dozens.  today, a grenade was discovered which
> didn't explode, on the road between the cyber cafe where i am now and my
> home.  people are scared.  its hard to predict what the next days will hold,
> especially sunday, the election day.
>
> ... we who are practitioners of open space often talk about the difficulties
> of convincing leaders to let go of control in their organizations.  when it
> comes to letting go, and pushing people to do so, the stakes can be very
> very high.
>
> two weeks ago i opened the space for a group of rotarians and educators on
> the subject of promoting literacy in haiti. we were about 50.  the man who
> gave the opening welcome for the meeting, the president of the petion-ville
> rotary club and a very successful business man, is pushing for change.  he's
> pushing for others among his colleagues in the elite sector to commit
> themselves to transforming haiti and to invest in social structures and
> programs for the poor masses.
>
> he is soft-spoken man but has a clear message.  and he has earned the right
> to be listened to.  his two younger brothers were both assisinated in 1992.
> like him, they were pushing the elite sector to "open the space."  they also
> were wealthy businessmen.
>
> stakes can be high when we're pushing to open space.
>
> john
> petion-ville
> haiti

Dear John

I wish you a lot ofcourage. When I read your message I feel like living in
paradise ...
here in Belgium.
Please give me the name of the president of the petion-ville rotary club. I
want to forward
your message to people of the Belgian Rotary Club together with a few words
that can explain your efforts. Maybe ... I can find some support.

I have a picture of you in my mind ... that picture is clear and with every
message of you it grows more colorful and powerful. Thank you.

Francis
The Little Fox
---
STP