The Winning Poem!

Chris Weaver/Rhett Hudson rhett&chris at main.nc.us
Sun Nov 19 18:51:45 PST 2000

Dear OSLIST,

My thanks to you all for your participation in the Third Bi-Annual OSLIST
Restricted Form Poetry Contest.  Here is the winning triple-haiku.

huge pens and newsprint
like twigs and leaves on the floor:
fall forest clearing.

wall like wide canvas
bare, primed, awaiting wide strokes
painted by our hearts.

circle of welcome,
like setting an old table
for neighbors and friends.

by Jeff Aitken

Thank you, Jeff, for this poem, so true to the essence of both Open Space
and haiku.  Jeff was chosen by a wide margin.  In fact, 80% of those voting
cast one or more of their dots for this poem.

In this way, Jeff has earned the title of OSLIST Poet Laureate for the next
six months, and assumes responsibility for organizing the next contest.  He
will receive my dog-eared copy of Ardor by Marvin Bell.

I will post all the entries in the poetry!space, volume 2 on The Meta
Network.  Anyone wishing to see the final dot tally is welcome to email me
and I will send it to you.

Thank you to Chris Corrigan for establishing this tradition.  And again, my
appreciation and admiration go out to all the poets.  May you continue to
lend your pens and keyboards to the essence and unfolding spirit of Open
Space.

Chris Weaver