Open Space in Brasil and Africa

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Fri Nov 10 08:38:36 PST 2000

Dear friends and colleagues --

At our recent international gathering of Open Space
facilitators, OSonOS Berlin, the group discussed getting in
contact with people who do or would like to learn how to do
Open Space Technology in the South (continents below the
equator).  Immediately after that discussion, Yigit's friend
in Brasil contacted her with a request to learn more about
Open Space.  Lisa's colleague Mate has also requested more
information on different forms of facilitation, and we have
discussed Open Space.  We also hear that Open Space has been
used in South Africa.

For a description of Open Space Technology, please see the
Word attachment.  We can also send you this as text in the
body of an email if you are unable to access attachments.

We (Laurel Doersam of Canada and Lisa Heft of the United
States) have sent each of you this email to continue this
conversation.  Laurel and Lisa would love to come to Brasil
or to Africa to train facilitators in Open Space (some of
you know Lisa from her work in AIDS in both countries) -- or
-- there might be some Brasilian or African Open Space
facilitators who might like to do their own facilitator
trainings and we would like to connect with them to give
them our support.  We request that you spread this message
around to help us connect our Open Space network and to make
OS facilitator trainings (and a facilitator network bridge
from Brasilian and African Open Space folks to us) a
reality.

If anyone is interested in having Lisa and Laurel come to
Brasil or Africa to train facilitators, we would request
that you help us locate some funding to cover our airplane
tickets, somewhere for us to stay (nothing fancy and we love
to make friends, so a homestay would be fine) and also a
site / the logistics to hold a two to four-day Open Space.
This would be a large room with food available in the room.
We can send you the requirements, there are not many.  The
training just costs the price of food (which can also be
contributed by various participants) -- you can recommend
that people pay a certain amount for the training or not.

Sometimes you just wish things could happen, and sometimes
(like this time) you just make them happen.  Thank you for
your support in helping us continue to share Open Space with
whomever would like to join us as we honor each person's
wisdom and experience and bring people together to create
change through hard work and high play.

Thank you,

Laurel Doersam (who has trained Open Space facilitators in
Canada)
Laurel.Doersam at caphealth.org

 -and-

Lisa Heft (who has trained interactive learning facilitators
in several world AIDS conferences)
lisaheft at pacbell.net

Plus a deep bow to the amazing Ms. Nuran Yigit for beginning
this idea, to Michael Herman for his eloquent article, and
to the delightful Harrison Owen, for his generosity in
sharing the technology.