OS in Asia

Eddie Palmer EEddiepalmer at cs.com
Sun May 28 07:02:31 PDT 2000

Dear Jim,

Thanks for sharing your experiences, and in a culture that I have really no
experience in, it sounds like you're doing very well!
It's interesting that your points are on voting, because I think I and my
colleagues in Scotland often come across OS ( when we do, which is not that
often) used with no obvious ending, conclusion, continuation etc.
In the corporate sector, we always come on hard about conclusion, and usually
make quite a fuss about voting, and a presentation of the results  ( say, the
top 8 or so priorities - we are usually working on strategy). I had a
difficult time just last week, mainly due to the group being totally
unprepared, some academics, etc., but they all loved the voting! It was
interesting how especially the very obvious and clear priorities were studied
for some time afterwards ( and the venue wanted us out!) by the younger, and
also female participants. I don't think we've had a great rush to sign up for
further work, and so no problem about who takes responsibility, but your
experience is interesting.
With regard to combining of topics, the only similarity I can think of is
participants wanting the whole list looked at so there isn't too much
duplication - however, i think I've learnt that to keep people's own wording
is very important,

Thanks for your story - i enjoyed it!

Eddie Palmer
Open Futures