Table at the Opening: Inclusiveness

ROCHELLE ENGLAND rochelle.england at newcastle.edu.au
Mon May 22 19:58:34 PDT 2000

Maggie

My response to your suggestion is that people with disabilites would feel
that once again they have to identify themselves as being different. What
is wrong with having a table in the centre that everyone can use?

In making this comment, I am still agreeing with asking people before the
event if they have any special needs.

Regards

Rochelle England

>In a message dated 5/10/00 5:01:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dgp at cyberus.ca
>writes:
>
><< I facilitated an OS last week and a disabled person who's disability was
>not evident came to me after feeling quite upset that a small table had not
>been in the centre for people like her who cannot bend even to pick up a
>sheet a paper and who does not want to ask others to bring her a sheet, not
>wanting her disability to be known. She felt deprived having not been able to
>participate and indicated that others with similar problems had made the same
>comment.  A young person with the same complaint having a physical problem
>that limits  kneeling or bending movements to the floor. >>
>
>Interesting story.  I've been out of the country for three weeks, so forgive
>me for sending a response so long after the initial comment.  I'm the OD
>consultant who has specialized in disability rights organizations for many
>years now and your story made me think of many dilemmas I've faced in doing
>Open Space.   Let me add just a few words to what may have been a long thread
>(that I'm yet to read).
>
>One of the hardest parts of educating the public about disability and the
>Americans with Disabilities Act is getting recognition for the shared
>responsibility of making accommodations.  Under the law, the person with the
>disability must request an accommodation and then the employer/public
>accommodation/government agency is required to respond to the best of its
>ability (financial and otherwise).  In your situation, it appears that the
>person felt "left out" but she failed to tell you this until the Open Space
>event was over.
>
>I'm not implying that you had a "legal" obligation here -- I read your
>comments as more personal and that you were concerned that she felt she could
>not partipicate fully (and I would agree) -- but the ADA helps all of us
>think about these issues in a "professional" and "moral" way in addition to
>giving us guidance for legal purposes.  So, one of the things you might say
>in opening the space could be,
>
>  "Now, there may be people with disabilities in the group of whom I'm not
>aware and
>   for whom we have not planned.  If this is the case, please let me or
>others in your
>   discussion groups know if you need an accommodation to participate more
>fully.
>   We'll find ways to accommodate you to the best of our abilities."
>
>And, keep those tables near by or available in case that is one request that
>is made.  I hope this helps.  If you would want to hear of other
>accommodation situations where I was a part, let me know.
>
>Maggie Shreve
>magshreve at aol.com

Rochelle England                                Email:
Lecturer                                             rochelle.england
@newcastle.edu.au
Organisational Development                        Phone: Austr. 02 4921 6311
Learning & Development Program              Int. +61 2 4921 6311
University of Newcastle                               FAX:   Austr. 02 4921
6994
Callaghan  NSW  2308  Australia                              Int.  +61 2
4921 6994