Table at the Opening: Inclusiveness

Maggie Shreve Magshreve at aol.com
Sun May 21 16:49:59 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/10/00 5:01:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dgp at cyberus.ca
writes:

<< I facilitated an OS last week and a disabled person who's disability was
not evident came to me after feeling quite upset that a small table had not
been in the centre for people like her who cannot bend even to pick up a
sheet a paper and who does not want to ask others to bring her a sheet, not
wanting her disability to be known. She felt deprived having not been able to
participate and indicated that others with similar problems had made the same
comment.  A young person with the same complaint having a physical problem
that limits  kneeling or bending movements to the floor. >>

Interesting story.  I've been out of the country for three weeks, so forgive
me for sending a response so long after the initial comment.  I'm the OD
consultant who has specialized in disability rights organizations for many
years now and your story made me think of many dilemmas I've faced in doing
Open Space.   Let me add just a few words to what may have been a long thread
(that I'm yet to read).

One of the hardest parts of educating the public about disability and the
Americans with Disabilities Act is getting recognition for the shared
responsibility of making accommodations.  Under the law, the person with the
disability must request an accommodation and then the employer/public
accommodation/government agency is required to respond to the best of its
ability (financial and otherwise).  In your situation, it appears that the
person felt "left out" but she failed to tell you this until the Open Space
event was over.

I'm not implying that you had a "legal" obligation here -- I read your
comments as more personal and that you were concerned that she felt she could
not partipicate fully (and I would agree) -- but the ADA helps all of us
think about these issues in a "professional" and "moral" way in addition to
giving us guidance for legal purposes.  So, one of the things you might say
in opening the space could be,

  "Now, there may be people with disabilities in the group of whom I'm not
aware and
   for whom we have not planned.  If this is the case, please let me or
others in your
   discussion groups know if you need an accommodation to participate more
fully.
   We'll find ways to accommodate you to the best of our abilities."

And, keep those tables near by or available in case that is one request that
is made.  I hope this helps.  If you would want to hear of other
accommodation situations where I was a part, let me know.

Maggie Shreve
magshreve at aol.com