Looking for experiences training youth

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Sat May 20 10:56:52 PDT 2000

Dear Chris,
I have never trained people in open space. There have been occasions
where people came to learn about open space. Some of the more
experienced open space people would say that maybe it is possible to
create the space in which people interested in learning or being
taught might remember open space. I like that image.
My design for those kinds of people - and I do not know what age they
would consider to be in - has been at the least a one-day, 12 hour
experience. If I were to operate in your time frame, I would open the
space for a topic of their passion in the first afternoon. Next
morning, after having read the proceedings I would open a space on
open space to reflect on the experience of the afternoon from the
previous day.
The last half day I would spend with the group to go over all the
open questions, nuts and bolts etc.
I would not do the convergence (as you suggested) but rather allow
enough time for reflection. My experience is that a prerequisite for
convergence is more time than just one afternoon. (if you have a very
specific issue and people that are pretty much into this issue and
are eager to take on the burning questions and have the means to move
things, convergence even after a half day of open space can work, as
I just experienced recently). Therefore I am not so certain on this
aspect.
My hunch, though, is that less is more in this situation. And if
participants in your group really get into open space in a serious
way they can always catch up on the convergence stuff.
All said, I still think it would be great you had more time for your
event!!
I call my one-day, 12 hour (from 10 am to 10 pm) events "Open Space
Lernwerkstatt".
I know you will keep us posted and am really looking forward to your
report.
Good luck
michael

PS: Wish you would come to  OSonOS VIII in Berlin to have a face to
face exchange