Poetry Contest: We Have A Winner!

Chris Corrigan corcom at interchange.ubc.ca
Sat May 6 00:00:56 PDT 2000

Colleagues:

The 2nd Biannual OSLIST Restricted Form Poetry Contest has now
officially drawn to a close and, as OSLIST Poet Laureate, it gives me
great pleasure to announce the winner.

Congratulations go to Chris Weaver, our new OSLIST Poet Laureate.
Chris's poem received the most votes, even though Chris modestly voted
for someone else!

In addition to wearing the mantle of the OSLIST Poet Laureate, Chris
will receive a copy of The Tao of Pooh and shoulder the responsibility
for organizing the 3rd Biannual OSLIST Restricted Form Poetry Contest in
October.

Thanks to all who participated...is someone willing to host the complete
collection on a Web page somewhere?

And, now...the winning poem, and it's truly a beatiful piece; an
extended metaphorical meditiation on Open Space and swimming with a
touch of whimsy and a barely acceptable bending of the rules in the
fourth stanza.  Thanks Chris, and congrats.  Please email me your
address so I can wing your prize to you:

OPEN SPACE

You have arrived here
before, burning for air,
surfacing in a circle
of early spring lakewater

with loons around you.
Did even the ones
who love you understand
why you stepped off

the dock into black
water?  The beckoning voice
was so soft: consider
the lilies.  We carve

that first time into
a monument of birdsong
and hand eachother deeper
trust, easily, like sandwiches.

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN
108-1035 Pacific Street

Phone: 604.683.3080
Fax: 604.683.3036

(GO LEAFS GO!)

>From  Sun May  7 12:14:50 2000
> The 2nd Biannual OSLIST Restricted Form Poetry Contest has now
> officially drawn to a close and, as OSLIST Poet Laureate, it gives me
> great pleasure to announce the winner.
>
> Congratulations go to Chris Weaver, our new OSLIST Poet Laureate.
> Chris's poem received the most votes, even though Chris modestly voted
> for someone else!
>
> In addition to wearing the mantle of the OSLIST Poet Laureate, Chris
> will receive a copy of The Tao of Pooh and shoulder the responsibility
> for organizing the 3rd Biannual OSLIST Restricted Form Poetry Contest in
> October.
>
> Thanks to all who participated...is someone willing to host the complete
> collection on a Web page somewhere?
>
> And, now...the winning poem, and it's truly a beatiful piece; an
> extended metaphorical meditiation on Open Space and swimming with a
> touch of whimsy and a barely acceptable bending of the rules in the
> fourth stanza.  Thanks Chris, and congrats.  Please email me your
> address so I can wing your prize to you:
>
> OPEN SPACE
>
> You have arrived here
> before, burning for air,
> surfacing in a circle
> of early spring lakewater
>
> with loons around you.
> Did even the ones
> who love you understand
> why you stepped off
>
> the dock into black
> water?  The beckoning voice
> was so soft: consider
> the lilies.  We carve
>
> that first time into
> a monument of birdsong
> and hand eachother deeper
> trust, easily, like sandwiches.
>
> --
> CHRIS CORRIGAN
> 108-1035 Pacific Street
> Vancouver BC
> V6E 4G7
>
> Phone: 604.683.3080
> Fax: 604.683.3036
>
> (GO LEAFS GO!)

Congratulations, Chris Weaver! I loved your poem  - found it wispy, and
deep, and rich with metaphor and connection.

Thank you --BJ

--------------CC69DDEEF5D86FE7F5386482

begin:vcard
n:Peters;BJ
tel;fax:602 279 4806
tel;work:602 279 4805
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:bjpeters at amug.org
title:Consultant, Facilitator, Coach, Trainer
note:"We must be the change we wish to see in the world."  - Gandhi
x-mozilla-cpt:;3
fn:BJ Peters
end:vcard