Convergence

Diane Gibeault dgp at cyberus.ca
Tue Mar 28 09:17:16 PST 2000

To Ingrid and BJ et al,

Just back from traveling and have caught up in my reading of the chat
list. Great ideas you shared! A few questions:

1- When you put topics in rows, would it quicken the voting process if
topics were placed in the numerical order (i.e. by the number given to
each report as it got typed or put on the wall)?

I think I would still want the "multi-name/single issue" situation as
Harrison calls it sorted out by initiators before the vote because
participants do come up with that concern as you invite them to vote.
This would not be the clustering of natural groupings but the joining of
quite identical topics.

2. I'm usually not looking for linear formats but I appreciate BJ's
instructions to vote in rows so dots can be counted faster without
creating cross-eyed malaise.

3. I also like his idea of inviting the whole group as oppose to only
initiators to cluster by natural groupings. This resembles the other
process where people write on priority topic sheets, the related topics
they think should be added but this way, you have a greater chance of
avoiding related topics falling through the cracks. It may also be more
dynamic if people are together clustering topics as oppose to writing
individually. The draw back is that some may want to put a topic at
different clusters but you could give the instruction that a topic may
be included in different clusters by writing it on new sheets.

What would be in your experience a large size group where this would
become inpractical because of sheer numbers?...although I know the
reality is that not everybody will go to the wall.

4. Ingrid, when you announced the topics of the cluster: what if a
cluster did not get top votes. Do you still invite people to action plan
on it or are you focussing at this point only on the top priorities ?
Are priorities set by counting the total number of votes each cluster
now has? Or is the action planning focussed not on the cluster title
necessarily because that may be very general but on the specific issue
that received the most votes?  Conversely, if an issue received many
votes but cannot be clustered with other topics, I understand that it
goes for action planning as one of the priorities. What if a cluster has
3 top priority issues according to dot votes. Would you not  want to
create 3 distinct action planning groups unless topics can fall under
the same plan?

5- What I like about your approach is that people will be action
planning on priorities as opposed to any topic for which they have a
passion.This is OK is the OS is for a gathering that is not centered on
one organization. At this point, it makes sense to pool the energy
towards organizational priorities. It makes the assignment of sites with
post-its much more simple.

6- I like your idea of signing up to a cluster page (a new page since
the topic pages have signatures of the first day). This would work as it
is done as a distinct step from voting and if the group is not too big
or if there is enough time (all factors that caused problems in my
experience). What I particularly liked is that they sign up with a "2"
for their second choice. It gives notice to others that bumblebees may
come later. I collected that info at the walk about (to look at action
plan reports) but if there is more time for action planning, meaning
bumblebees are more likely to appear,  it is encouraging for the
initiator to know at the outset that there is more interest even if only
one or a few show up.

7- Other words to replace "champion" which has been overused in the work
environment of many of my clients: Keeper of the spirit or Action chiefs
or Action leaders, or coordinators. Still looking for words.

8- I like your way BJ of giving everyone the suggested approach sheet or
action planning sheet. I think it addresses the concern Harrison
expressed about too many details and it makes sure that the process does
not lie only in the hands of the initiator, it's shared leadership.

It's great to build on all these ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Diane