Opening space for 24 Polish people - It worked magic.

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 21 07:56:31 PST 2000

Dear Toke Moller

Yes, did my first Eastern European OST in September last year in Brasov,
Romania with 72 people from local governments, NGOs, medical staff,
journalists, users, ex-users etc. in mental health.  Event lasted one and
half days and was conducted in the Romanian language except for 25 minutes
of my English.

The take-up rate for implementing the priorities was 95%!  At last count,
the priorities are being realised in five cities and through one steering
group on national policy.   My translator, manager of the sponsoring NGO,
became a co-facilitator about half way through.   Also, it was worth noting
that this LDC managed to use a lap top to print out priorities and hand to
all departing participants, a feat unmatched in our 27 other events in the
UK!  Apparently, this experience was very unsual for Romanians who have not
had opportunities to meet and discuss important issues in open dialogue let
alone have the confidence to do something on their own with no resources.

I also trained nine people before the event and debriefed them after they
participated in the event.

Next stop will be Armenia this October followed possibly by Bulgaria and
Nepal.  This work is done through a small but highly effective
international charity based in Scotland.

Cheers

Kerry Napuk
Open Futures Ltd.
Edinburgh