convergence

Michelle Cooper coopgrp at interlynx.net
Thu Mar 16 16:05:38 PST 2000

Thanks for sharing your story to add to my resources Ingrid.

I too have found doing convergence in a one day event challenging.....but
important to attend to. I had some big learning a few weeks back with a
group of nurses that came together to discuss issues and opportunities for
inspiring nursing leadership.  All was going well and reports were being
entered into the computer  near the end in a timely way that left me
thinking that all would be well and ready for the prioritizing process
before closing.  However, what  I did not realize was that they had had such
rich and wonderful discussions that they were writing 2-3 pages of notes (or
more!!!),  We had had a glitch (virus on one of the laptops) earlier and
were behind in printing reports. The person writing the thesis was at the
computer with the printer attached (I have not yet mastered the intricacy of
networking the laptops to the printers).  We ended up with a 1/2 hr long
pause between the end of discussions and the start of prioritizing, which
gave people a chance to read and mill about, but you could feel the energy
drop in the room. A number of people left at that juncture before closing.
The sponsors got a bit anxious "We're losing them!!!"  The suggestion to get
writers to perhaps post their written topics met with "Oh no, we really want
to do this".  So, whatever happens.......  There was nothing I could do but
wait at that point....not to say that I wasn't a little anxious too! The
prioritizing part brought the energy level back up.

My learnings - in the absence of a networked situation, keep the computer
with the printer free, especially near the end of the day.  I have always
found a crush starting after the session following lunch .

Have initiators of last sessions of the day just post written reports (and
perhaps they will agree to enter them later ?!?).  The earlier discussions
about laptop free open space meetings were valuable contributors to this
thanks.

There is a difference of tolerance for waiting for delays in a group that
has a vested interest e.g., a work group Vs a group that come together in
this kind of conference/learning from each other format.  The work groups
don't want to miss the "voting" piece.

This particular open space meeting was one that I was quite nervous about.
It was my peers from across this end of the province that  were sponsors and
participants.  Those of you who were at OSONOS in Chicago might remember my
musings on doing open space in the health care system.  This was the start.
The feedback on the day at closing circle was on the main very positive and
moved me to tears at some moments (although, that is not an astonishing feat
in my case!!), despite the glitches.

Michelle

Michelle Cooper, RN, MScN
The Cooper Group Consultants
200 Crestview  Avenue
Ancaster, Ontario
Canada L9G1E2
Telephone -     (905) 648- 4633
Fax -           (905) 648-1763
E-mail          coopgrp at interlynx.net
The paradox of control is simple. The more we try to control life, the
less control we have.  Joan Borysenko, Ph.D., Minding The Body, Mending The
Mind