OS in Vancouver with Aboriginal youth

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 6 06:00:47 PST 2000

At 10:05 PM 3/5/00 -0800, you wrote:

>Someone asked me yesterday why Open Space alwasy seems to work, and I
>replied with the short answer: "I dunno."  I sometimes feel that, in
>learning and practicing OST, it's as if I have been given a gift from a
>genie.
******************************
Maybe it is a genie -- but I suspect it is all about self-organization. Knowing
why Open Space works probably won't make it work any better, but it may well
enable us to work better with Open Space.

Should it turn out that Open Space is simply self-organization at work, and
further that self-organization in human systems is just the way things are...
despite our great labor and anxiety to organize things ... We could get a lot
more done with a lot less hassle -- and certainly enjoy it more.

If anybody wants to pursue this notion you might check out my website (below)
in the section "Papers" -- looking for one called "Emergent Order" which
originally appeared in the ODN Practicioner" Then again you might wander
through my new book, "The Power of Spirit: How Organizations Tranform"
(Berrett-Koehler July 2000).

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive