Talking Stick

Don Ferretti DFerrett at placer.ca.gov
Wed Mar 1 13:38:23 PST 2000

The rain stick dates back to the ancient Chilean Indians. It is a percussion instrument made of the Capota cactus. It is cut at one end and filled with the thorns of the cactus and small pebbles. This is what makes the sound of rain inside the stick when you tip it.  It was used in rain ceremonies.

>>> Murli Nagasundaram <rismurli at cobfac.boisestate.edu> 03/01/00 11:33AM >>>
Don, what is the origin of the rain stick?  Thanks.  Murli