primal Open Space

Jeff Aitken ja at svn.net
Fri Mar 17 10:05:32 PST 2000

Harrison wrote: I suppose you could think of the moment before the Big Bang
as the primal Open Space...

Harrison, I always appreciated your "Old Testament" background. The Hebrew
creation story says that G-d is the first open space facilitator. There was
only G-d, but in order for the universe to be created, G-d needed to
withdraw just a touch so that an open space would be created into which the
universe would take place.

"Before a universe could be created, empty space had to exist in which it
could be made. But initially, only G-d existed, and all existence was
filled with the Divine Essence. It was out of this undifferentiated Essence
that a Vacated space had to be engraved. The process, known to the
Kabbalists as the Tzimtzum (Constriction), is clearly described in the
Zohar... The hollow engraved in the Supernal Luminescence was the Vacated
Space, in which all creation subsequently occurred." (Sefer Yetzirah <book
of creation>, trans. & commentary by Aryeh Kaplan)

I imagine that G-d was at least as anxious and radically trusting as any of
us who step back from the center of the circle and wait for the open space
to be filled. And at least as happy at the wonderous creation-ing which
emerges and self-organizes from the open space.

And, my rabbi says, G-d holds the space while we walk around with free
will. So let's offer gratitude for the wayfinding narrative (principles and
law) and walk with wisdom & humility & open heart!

Jeff

-
Jeff Aitken
PO Box 1092