Online Communities Chat Announcement

Patrick McAuley patrick.mcauley at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 16 06:23:30 PST 2000

The following announcement has (I gather) been posted on many internet lists.  I copied this from the OnLine Facilitation Group at eGroups.com, where it was posted by Nancy White, whose coordinates appear at the end of the announcement.

I know from reaction I have received before about technology support for Open Space, that others in this OS Forum are interested in this subject area.  I would encourage all to think about using internet technology at least as a channel to publish the results of Open Space meetings and also to extend and continue the discussion  and action planning aspects.  You may find it revealing just to read the bios of the expert participants in the announcement below -- gives you an idea of just how far facilitation in an online envroinment has been taken, and how behaviours and communication differ in this environment than in live or traditional media.

Cheers,

Patrick McAuley

Guelph, Canada

> From MANY lists!
>
> From: Suler sule- at voicenet.com
>
> BEHAVIOR ONLINE (http://www.behavior.net) would like to invite you to
> attend a panel discussion entitled:
>
> "DEVELOPING ONLINE COMMUNITIES"
> Saturday, March 25, 4:00-5:00 pm Eastern US time (Universal/Greenwich
Time: 21)
> [...]
> host of the Brainstorms online community. His other books include
> Excursions to the Far Side of the Mind, They Have a Word For It,
> Higher Creativity (with Willis Harman), The Cognitive Connection
> (with Howard Levine), and Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming (with
> Stephen LaBerge).  Rheingold's books are translated into French,
> German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Swedish. His web site is located
> at http://www.rheingold.com
>
> ALAN SONDHEIM is a writer, teacher, videomaker, and cyberspace
> theorist who comoderates four email lists, Cybermind,
> Fiction-of-Philoso- phy, Cyberculture, and E-conf (electronic
> conferencing), on the Internet. For the past several years, Sondheim
> has been working on dynamic webpages and a long Internet Text, a
> continuous meditation on the philosophy and psycho- logy of
> cyberspace. Parts of this have been published in online and offline
> venues, including Nettime's Readme (Autonomedia). Sondheim was the
> second Virtual Writer-in-Residence for the trAce Online Writing
> Community, originating from Nottingham Trent University, England. In
> 1996, Sondheim edited Being On Line, Net Subjectivity, for Lusitania
> Press, guest-edited an issue of Art Papers on Future Culture, and
> edited issue #120 of New Observations on Cultures of Cyberspace. His
> other books include Individuals: Post-Movement Art in America
> (Dutton, 1977) and Disorders of the Real (Station Hill, 1988). His
> current project, the Internet Text, is available on the World Wide
> Web.
>
> JOHN SULER, Ph.D., (moderator for the panel) is Professor of
> Psychology at Rider University and a practicing clinical
> psychologist. His online hypertext book The Psychology of Cyberspace
> describes the results of his ongoing research on how individuals and
> groups behave in cyberspace. His work has been translated into
> several languages and has been reported by The New York Times, The
> Wall Street Journal, the BBC, the Chicago Sun Times, CNN, MSNBC, the
> APA Monitor, NBC Nightly News, US News and World Report, and The
> Chronicle of Higher Education. He is consulting editor for Behavior
> Online, the Journal of Virtual Environments, the journal
> CyberPsychology and Behavior, and the Contemporary Media Forum for
> The Journal of Applied Psychoanalysis. He is a founding member and on
> the executive board of the International Society for Mental Health
> Online, where he also created and moderates an online clinical group
> devoted to case studies of psychotherapy that  involve the internet.
> He also created and facilitates the BOL forum The Psychology of
> Cyberspace and an e-mail group devoted to the study of how cyberspace
> and in-person lifestyles affect each other. John's other web projects
> include the Teaching Clinical Psychology and the award winning Zen
> Stories to Tell Your Neighbors web sites..
>
> Transcripts of previous Behavior Online chat meetings are available at

Nancy White   ~   Full Circle Associates   ~  206-517-4754
http://www.fullcirc.com  and  http://www.onlinefacilitation.com