convergence with a difference

Michelle Cooper coopgrp at interlynx.net
Fri Mar 10 04:40:46 PST 2000

Thanks for sharing that process and the detail. It sounds like it addresses some of the concerns of bias that have emerged the other multi-voting process and it is a creative way to get to the end result. I will be interested to hear from you about your experience. I like the term initiator.  Some people also have trouble with the word champion.  At the last event, one group adopted the term animator.  I like the opportunity to add ideas to the action plan, which the reporting back does not always provide the opportunity to do.

There is concern for a parroting effect when dots are visible (which some have addressed by using an envelope and slips of paper). Given that, there is something about the visual power of seeing the dots emerge that I like.  The split of the votes for similar topics has been raised for me in the past and usually addressed by identifying that we will have an opportunity to combine. They do vote again with their feet when attending the discussions and volunteering to help move the action plans forward.  On a few occasions, that topic that was the top vote-getter was poorly attended and had few people willing to help move it forward. However, there are limitations to this method. It is great to hear other ideas.

Some questions:
* Is it only the initiators that have a role in determining which topics are combined in advance? Is there an opportunity for others to agree-disagree with the clustering? How do you handle the topics that cross many or all topics?
* Is there value in inviting someone other that the original convenors to volunteer to take leadership in the initiator role? Do you identify in the opening that the persons posting discussions will have the responsibility to take them forward in the prioritizing? If the topic evolved in discussion to be something that the original convenor did not feel passionate about or was not interested in leading, can they back out gracefully if they wish? What if the original convenor is not present at this time (several people left early to catch planes)?
* When you head into the prirotizing process, are the principles and law of open space still in effect?
* How much time did you need/would you think would work best for this process?

Good luck!
Michelle

Michelle Cooper
The Cooper Group Consultants