Talking Sticks and Medicine Wheels

Nigel Rawlins nrawlins at netspace.net.au
Mon Mar 13 04:26:09 PST 2000

A couple of things drew me to reply to Susan's posting. But maybe I
should introduce myself having already replied twice to various
postings.

I've been a very quiet observer of the OST list for over a year now.
I started by just doing an open space nearly 18 months ago after
having read a bit about it. I really intervened big in that first
one. As I learned more about Open Space, and became more confident
that it works, I now do as little as possible and restrain myself
from intervening. That's why I appreciate Harrison's down to earth
comments of reading the paper or taking a nap. I also went along to
Birgit's training when she was in Australia and know what you mean
by the medicine wheel.

As much as I am aware of what an intervention is, at the end of my
last OS event I asked the participants to reflect on the meaning of
responsibility on the way home. Doesn't sound like a big
intervention, but I made the comment because I was a bit angry with
the group and didn't heed the wisdom of the words: 'Whatever happens
is the only thing that could happen" That's been a great lesson for
me. Next time I will be more mindful of this.

Now to the medicine wheel, bells or talking sticks. In my book they
are all interventions of differing measures. When I choose a talking
stick I think that it has to be appropriate to the group not what I
think will be appropriate to the world, earth or whatever. The last
one I used a billiard cue - they had all played billiards or pool
during their stay at the venue. It just seemed appropriate.

We intervene when we place our interpretation onto why the spirit or
energy or passion has been released. That's the problem I have with
the medicine wheel. With all due respect to Indian American culture
it just doesn't seem to fit in Australia. My question is why is it
being used? Open Space works fine without it, as I have found many
many times, as no doubt many others have found.

The talking stick is an intervention too, but I think a handy one.
But it's really just a simple tool to shut everyone else up and be
respectful when the person holding it is talking - ie. Whoever comes
is the right person (so listen to them). I guess you could always
use a microphone and drown everyone else out by turning up the volume.

Susan I wish you well in your Open Space because it's going to work
no matter what you do. As they say in the Nike ads Just do it, leave
out the medicine wheel, and tell us how it goes.

Cheers
Nigel Rawlins
Barwon Heads, Australia.