I need advice . . .

Michelle Cooper coopgrp at interlynx.net
Tue Jun 27 11:34:00 PDT 2000

HI Laurel;
I would suggest not using open space for two hours for this particular
scenario. OST is just the right process for the problem, but anything less
than 4 hours would have the potential to backfire and a day would be minimal
in my opinion for this issue. It sounds typical of the desire for instant
fixes to huge problems that is rampant in health care. My other concern is
that they will be so caught up with being ready for the OR to start, they
may not be fully present. I would suggest that if they are truly committed
to resolving the problem, they will dedicate more time to it and they will
find a way to make the time happen. Sometimes that requires investing in
time on a weekend or (god forbid) closing down the OR for a half day.  This
is often done when anaesthetists go for their annual conference!! My
thinking is that a 2 hour event in any form is not going to help them
resolve the issues. They are likely looking at many 2 hour sessions which
would have the same effect on productivity as closing the OR for a day and
not nearly as effective as just one day in open space.

One of my nursing colleagues participated in a 2 hour "demonstration" event
recently at a conference where there was not particular passionate issues.
She said that people got into the discussion so deeply, that they were angry
when they were forced to stop. Not in the spirit of OS and could
particularly backfire if volatile issues got raised that could not be
discussed until "it is over".

Two hours might get you an opportunity to do some story telling to start
people getting a handle on the issue and then follow with a longer open
space.

My humble opinion;
Michelle

Michelle Cooper, RN, MScN
The Cooper Group Consultants
200 Crestview  Avenue
Ancaster, Ontario
Canada L9G1E2
Telephone -     (905) 648- 4633
Fax -           (905) 648-1763
E-mail          coopgrp at interlynx.net
The paradox of control is simple. The more we try to control life, the
less control we have.  Joan Borysenko, Ph.D., Minding The Body, Mending The
Mind