os-training at moscou

Jo Toepfer jotoepfer at gmx.net
Sat Jun 3 15:27:22 PDT 2000

Dear colleagues,

day 3.
The second part of our training - the open space on the open space that the
participants experienced at the very beginning of the training - was
completed in the morning of day 3. As usual, we started with morning news
at 09:30, read the book of proceedings at 09:40 and closed the open space
at 10:00 with a technical "talking stick" (a marker). After a short break
and  introduction into part 3 about 10 groups between 4 and 8 people each
(we had planned exactly 11 groups of 4 people each but the powers of
selforganisation raised it's ugly head and foiled our design) formed. Each
group got a set of instructions which we will include for you here:
сЯКНБХЪ ОПНБЕДЕМХЪ open space ╚ъ╩
3 ХЧМЪ 2000 Ц. лНЯЙБЮ

1.      бПЕЛЪ ОНДЦНРНБЙХ: Я 10:30 ОН 12:00 В. ДКЪ БЯЕУ

2.      бПЕЛЪ ЙНЯСКЭРЮЖХХ НР Jochen Х Michael Я 12:15 ОН 13:00 В. ДКЪ РЕУ
ЙРН АСДСР БШАПЮММШ (ЕЯКХ МЕНАУНДХЛН)

3.      бПЕЛЪ ОПНБЕДЕМХЪ: Я 14:00 ОН 19:00 В.

4.      рЕЛЮ open space: ╚ъ╩ - ЛНЪ ПНКЭ Х ПЮАНРЮ ЙЮЙ БЕДСЫХИ Б open space
(МЮ ТНМЕ МЮЬЕЦН НОШРЮ 1-НЦН ДМЪ ЙЮЙ СВЮЯРМХЙ Х ПЮАНРЮ Б open space НА open
space 2-НЦН ДМЪ, МЮАКЧДЕМХЕ Jochen Х Michael ЙЮЙ БЕДСЫХЕ Х хЦНПЭ ЙЮЙ
НПЦЮМХГЮРНП НР хмрепрпемхмцЮ)

5.      хЛЕЕРЯЪ Б ПЮЯОПНЪФЕМХХ ЦКЮБМШИ ГЮК Х ЛЕЯРН ЯОПЮБЮ МЮ ЙНПХДНПЕ ПЪДНЛ.

6.      щРН АСДЕР НАШВМШИ open space, БЙКЧВЮЪ ОПХБЕРЯРБХЕ НР НПЦЮМХГЮРНПЮ,
НРЙПШРХЕ БЕДСЫЕЦН, МЮЯРПНИЙЮ ЦПСООШ, НАЗЪБКЕМХЕ РЕЛШ (ХГЦНРНБХРЕ ОКЮЙЮР!),
ОПЕДЯРЮБКЕМХЕ ОПНЖЕЯЯЮ ПЮАНРШ Б open space (ОКЮЙЮРШ СФЕ ЯСЫЕЯРБСЕР!),
ЯНГДЮМХЕ ДНЯЙХ НАЗЪБКЕМХИ, НРЙПШРХЕ АЮГЮПЮ, ПЮАНРЮ Б ЦПСООЮУ (бШ ЯЮЛШ
НОПЕДЕКЪЕРЕ БПЕЛЪ МЮВЮКЮ), БШЯРЮБЙЮ ОПНРНЙНКНБ (БЛЕЯРН НРВЕРЮ, АКЮМЙ СФЕ
ЯСЫЕЯРБСЕР) Х ГЮЙПШРХЕ.

сДЮВХ !!!

Basicly, this document outlined the givens (theme, rooms available, time
available, etc.). The groups were each to make a design for an open space
to the theme "I" with the sub-heading "my role and work as an open space
facilitator". The groups had 45 minutes. At a subsequent gathering of all
groups at noon we asked which group would like to actualy apply their
design. Two groups volunteered and the decision was arrived thru a draw.
The choosen group had time until 2 pm to get ready. They had access to any
other group members to assist them and to us for coaching. All other
participants went into self organised learning mode.
At 2 pm a designated sponsor from the team opened the space and two other
team members introduced open space technology.
Thru some foul-up there were suddenly 3 sponsors. The introduction to OST
was extremely short, the group wasn't focused. Regardless, participants
began to offer issues. The whole process was very unfocused, lifely,
chaotic, loud and disruptive. As the market place was opened most people
remained seated and the facilitators were confused.
As it turned out this was the basis for a very productive and intense
learning session for the group of 4 facilitators. But also for everybody
else. Groups worked everywhere even though the process appeared everything
but orderly.
Selforganisation arose out of chaos.
Of the 9 issues posted, 7 were worked with proceedings exhibited in a galery.
The group of facilitators asked to be choached in designing the closing of
the space. All we had to do was to assure them that the design that they
came up with was sound.
They had decided to move the closing session into an seperate space without
chairs. The talking stick was a fragrant half opened flower. It worked
beautifully. And we know that we experienced one of the most intense,
powerful and grounded closing session in our professional career. People
had come face to face with the spirit of open space and had a fundamental
experience with the expression "open space is simple but not easy". This
was especially true for the group of facilitators.
Our main task and energy was to focus on letting go completely. That was
exhausting!!
The participants reported that this 3-step-approach was a most effective
way for them to get into open space facilitation.
We will finish the training tomorrow with a feed back exercise on the last
open space and a final round which will deal with all the questions which
were collected during the whole training event.
Tomorrow you will also get our last report as we take the plane back to
Berlin.

We greet you with the fragrance, the colour and the spirit of the flower
that circled our group here in Moscow today.
Jo and Michael

P.S.
Thank you Florian, Romy, Harrison and Jeff for the messages that you have
sent to Moscow demonstrating our world wide open space connectedness.

--
Jochen Toepfer
independent of location
jotoepfer at gmx.net