Another test -- bear with me (and ignore)

Murli Nagasundaram rismurli at cobfac.boisestate.edu
Thu Jun 29 16:46:28 PDT 2000

Just another test, okay?

2.  Sign in and Proceed

>From  Thu Jun 29 19:11:04 2000
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 19:11:04 -0700
To: OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
From: BJ Peters <bjpeters at amug.org>
Subject: Re: a mentoring idea

--------------20614C1340148E1A2994EED7

Rhett Hudson/Chris Weaver wrote:
this morning.  I'd love feedback, especially on one particular aspect.
is a newly-created way for people working in other fields to switch careers
and become public school teachers.  We have about 175 people statewide
who are making this bold transition.  They are currently in an intense
summer graduate program at six sites across the state.
these new teachers.  Mentors for new teachers are commonly assigned
in a one-to-one relationship; experienced teachers are paired up with new
teachers.  They drop by for scheduled or unscheduled meetings at the
school.  Often the chemistry is not right, and the mentee-mentor relationship
becomes another source of stress for the new teacher.
the new teachers at a particular site (say, 25 of each) attended a half-day
(or more if we can) Open Space to start things off.  The focus groups
would be convened around the needs of the new teachers.  Useful relationships
would be formed, but not in a one-to-one fashion; the new teachers would
leave that event with the names and contact info for ALL the mentors, and
with relationships with several of them based on their OS interactions.
they would need help.  Mentors could be paid for <i>being available,</i>
and, hopefully, for attending regular mini-open-spaces with the new teachers
throughout the school year.
structure of a mentorship?
inviting <i>only the new teachers</i> to convene focus groups.  On
one level this feels heretical to the spirit of Open Space.  But on
another level I want to deliberately break the set-up of the mentors being
the experts.  I want the whole program to be oriented around the needs
of the new teachers, not around the expertise of the mentors.  In
my current thinking, requesting that the mentors not convene focus groups
but instead to simply attend the ones to which they feel they can contribute
the most would serve to empower the new teachers.  WOULD YOU DO THIS?
Or is it a bad controlling idea?

and the process and let all who have passion and want to take responsibility
for a discussion topic do so.

--------------20614C1340148E1A2994EED7

begin:vcard
n:Peters;BJ
tel;fax:602 279 4806
tel;work:602 279 4805
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:bjpeters at amug.org
title:Consultant, Facilitator, Coach, Trainer
note:"We must be the change we wish to see in the world."  - Gandhi
x-mozilla-cpt:;3
fn:BJ Peters
end:vcard