OS in Siberia

Elena A. Marchuk marco at mail.nsk.ru
Thu Jun 29 09:02:02 PDT 2000

Hi all OSers!

I'm Elena Marchuk, from Novosibirsk, West Siberia - the geographical center
of Russia.

I want to thank you all whom I write personally and who helped me with their
advises and inspiration...

that is Harrison Owen - first, then Peggy Holman - the book of whom I'm in
love - I mean The Change Handbook,
Michael Pannwitz with his equipping me with 1 and 2 hours design of OSs and
his report on Moscow training.

And all who participate in the discussion on OSlist about  2 hours OS which
I just followed silently...

THANK YOU!

I had 3 hours.

So I feeled a little bit relaxed with timing but very worried what those
Russians will do with the method and small timing - from 2 to 5 pm.

The topic was "Civic Initiatives" in the afternoon of the Conference "Local
governments and NGOs - from interconnection to partnership" . two sessions
were very traditional - one with 13 speakers (in a hot day), another like
round table - also with honoured speakers

and ours - with OS...

it was 40 people

first we moved to a more fresh aired room from 2:00 pm to 2:15( from 2-nd to
5-th flor, those who was very tired - by the lift)
 and then installing in a circle

then 15 miniutes of instructions.

and you should see this frustraited faces - what we have to do with this?

then one after another we had about 15 topics..

then signing and organizing 6 groups.

2:45.
I desided that there will be one session of 45 minutes as we had to prepare
the general presentation for the plenary session (from 5 to 6 pm), and
that's why we have to listen what groups would working on and decide to
present.

So I told  them that they have 45 minutes for discussing their topics and
for preparing the report on a flipchart,

3:30. two groups from 6 were ready and all others asked for 5 minutes
more...

3:45 we started presentations - they were nice and everybody listened as the
topics was intersting for all.

one group presented two reports on different topics - one evaluation of the
work of NGOs and the other - Working through Internet

one woman after working in a group, as nobody signed on her proposed topic,
wrote quicly on a flipchart the presentation on her topic and made a
report - why not - ecological education...

we ended in 4:20 with presentations (a little bit less then 5 min each
together with the applouds) and discussed 15 min the results we shoul
present on a plenary and then

15 min of closing session where people surprised that it worked somehow and
it was great experience where NGOs representetives and local government
officers worked together as normal people...and very democratic and
wonderful...

Marina, my friend, said that I always had a smile on my face and smoothed
all hard parts by saying - that is your chance to say everything you want
and find partners right here in the room...

So it  looks like we all won!

we shall print all the results tomorrow and will put them in the newsletter

Thanks a lot to everybody and for OS and for Harrison who invented this
method. he said that I have just to try.
I did
Best wishes to all!

elena marchuk, Ph.D.
director of the Regional Development Center "Ceres"