Lens

Robert.Chaffe at nre.vic.gov.au Robert.Chaffe at nre.vic.gov.au
Tue Jun 13 01:58:11 PDT 2000

Hi

Here is an attempt to explain my understanding of the LENS process.  I invite
others more skilled in the practice of this process to contribute their ideas as
well.  We are not looking for the right way we are looking for the best way.  If
it does not suit your purpose don't use it.  If you want to try the process see
if there is someone in your area who has done it before and get them to help.
Staying focused for 90 minutes takes a lot of effort and do not be fooled there
are space invaders here too.  If working with a large groups you may find it
easier to break them up into groups of about 40, You will then have more than
one summary which you can share with the participants and the stakeholders,
there will be difference but in these differences we may find the gems that make
the big differences.

The Lens process is simple but requires careful attention to detail if it is to
work well.

The process begins with the question or topic - with the products from Open
Space Technology this would be subject that the group has raised issues or
concerns about. ( By this stage in the process  the reports should be  complete
and in the hands of the participants).
The titles of the issues and concerns in the reports should now be placed on a
single half A4 size piece of paper in landscape form.  It is critical that the
issue or concern be focused into five to seven words and that they are clearly
printed on the one sheet.  Do not make assumptions about the content of the
title check with the person who's topic it is and with the group who discussed
it and make sure that the title is accurate.

The pieces of paper with the topics are posed on a wall (display area) so that
all can see them.

Grouping.
The group is then asked to find two topics that have a similar action, outcome
or recommendation.   As the "pairs" are identified move the "pairs" (the sheets
of paper) to a separate part of the wall.  Stay with pairs until you have 5 to 7
pairs.

You may then ask are there other topics that could be added to a pair.  If a
topic fits into two groups put up a new sheet so that the topic is physically in
the two groups.  Test this carefully with the participants to make sure that
they are all looking for similar or common theme.

Arrange the sheets with the similar outcome etc. vertically down the display
area (wall) so that you have 5 to 7 columns of data displayed with each column
made up of a number of single issues or concerns.

There may be some that don't fit with others, they just form a group by
themselves!

Naming
The participants are then asked to name the groups.
The questions you ask are basically, What are all of these items of data about?
What do they have in common?  What is the reality they describe?
The second set of questions once you have some names to work with are, Is the
name inclusive? Does it describe all the items in this category?

This is best done first at an individual level then in small groups of about 5
then work with the product of the small groups through the large group of
participants.  This allows each individual to collect their thoughts then to
discuss their ideas with a small group then the small groups puts the ideas
forward thus working with 40 people you only have about 8  people putting
forward ideas when working with the large group.

As the names are given write them on a full A4 sheet and put the name on the top
of the column.  This name must reflect all the data in the column and be again 5
to 7 words. You will find that the names will change.  Each time write up a new
sheet put it up and test it with the group.  The names must be in the words of
the participants and avoid jargon and abbreviations we are looking for plain
accurate language as these names will become the drivers of the future action.

We now have a display of columns of data with large names at the top.

Arranging.
The next step is to look at the names and do some arranging.   If you use the
health wheel you may identify those which relate to the four elements and then
within each element use S. Covey's quadrants to decide which is the quadrant one
and quadrant two - if you do have any that fall into the 3rd. or 4th quadrant
you need to test this with the group because these are ones that you will drop
of the action list. There well could be the same NAME in more thane one area of
the health wheel.  Here again take the a copy NAME sheets and arrange them on
the display area in the context you are using.

We are trying to say what do we need to do first to grow the "quadrant two" area
and get us to our desired outcomes as efficiently as possible.

Outcome
On the display area you will have all the ideas that have been discussed.  You
will have the ideas arranged into those with similar intent or outcome.  you
will then have a visual display of where every idea fits into the overall
outcomes of the process and best of all everyone can see where their idea fits
into the overall scheme of things.  All contributions are valued and visible.
You can then take this output to the stakeholders and report back clearly and
concisely the product of the meeting.

It is now a matter of trust that the stakeholders act according to the outcomes.
As a facilitator the task is done.  The space has been opened, everyone has had
an equal opportunity to contribute, the product of the discussion is arranged
and focused so that it can be easily shared with others and the participants can
see where they and their ideas fit into the overall scheme of things. ( I might
not have the best idea but I have made a contribution that has been include).

This is a poor attempt to tell you about the Technology of participation and the
LENS process.  If you want more please get a copy of Laura J Spencer's book
"Winning through Participation"  Published by Kendall / Hunt Publishing Company
ISBN 0-8403-6196-3