Givens re egroups

Murli Nagasundaram rismurli at cobfac.boisestate.edu
Sat Jul 1 14:08:49 PDT 2000

Michelle, you probably have a good point here about the givens, especially
for people who joined much after OSLIST was created, back in late 1996.  We
got the thing off the ground without messing around with details, just to
have something for the OST community to use for engaging in dialogue.  The
list was made up as it went along, and perhaps it is a good time for folks
on the list to look back to see what OSLIST has accomplished, what are the
implicit assumptions re: the list and so on.  Anyone here willing to assume
the role(s) of list historian, analyst, interpreter, theorist, etc.  We can
post the results to an OST page someplace, so that those wishing to join
the list are aware of all these assumptions before stepping in.

I personally see this as a useful exercise both in itself, and in the use
of technology to implement OS.  I don't believe such a discussion takes
away from "the main purpose of this list"  -- which again, has not been
explicitly framed anyway.

Murli