Open Space client opportunity

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 20 21:17:27 PDT 2000

Peggy,
thank you for pulling up the archived notes about the Open Space
Organization. As you know it is where the passion with my work is. Not the
Open Space Technology meeting, except to see that as the starting point of
the Open Space Organization for those who are wanting more. In 1992 when I
was at the helm of a multi service social service, having been trained in
Open Space Technology by Harrison I came back to my organization excited
about the possiblilities. What I had learned about Open Space Technology fit
with my beliefs, my way of leading an organization, and with my previous
studies in story, myth, ritual, and shamanic healing practices including use
of the medicine wheel. As well as my interest in organizational
transformation. Open Space Technology was a methodology that used all of
this and all that I was. We did the first Open Space Technology meeting,
followed quickly by several more Open Space Technology meetings for each of
the major topics that came out of the first meeting. We did many of our
staff meetings in Open Space Technology, and when this was not possible, did
them using Process Facilitation (which in the way I have learned it and used
it uses many of the same values and underpinning principles as Open Space
Technology). I believe we were the first intentional Open Space
Organization. A year later, Harrison captured some of that in Millenium
Organization. I have stayed stuck with the name Open Space Organization and
didn't shift to the other, as the notes from the archives show.

We continued as an Open Space Organization until 1995, at which time I left.
The organization did not continue as an Open Space Organization after that
time but many of the staff went on to other organizations and used Open
Space Technology and what we had learned. And we had learned alot! Some of
that story is captured in Tales from Open Space. In 1995 I ventured into the
consulting world full time and was fortunate enough over the years to work
with other organizations who were interested in capturing on a daily basis
what they had experienced in an Open Space Technology meeting. A few of them
continued on and are now in their third year. Others did not work so well.
With my full passion for this on full speed ahead, I experimented and I
learned more and more about the Open Space Organization and what ingredients
are needed to enable it to work. And more recently, as you know, I feature
this work in the training program Advanced Program of Open Space Technology
focusing on the Open Space Organization. I do not have a model, rather a
protocol. What became very important to me was not only to be able as a
consultant to work with organizations myself to become Open Space
Organizations, but how to duplicate this in such a way that I could teach
other consultants and leaders in organizations. It was my great desire that
we could assist many many organizations around the world to become Open
Space Organizations, each unique according to their own life-force.

I have not had adequate time to be on the list for a while and appreciate
this opportunity. When I have been on the list before, I have been very
clear about the importance of pre-work with a sponsor before an Open Space
Technology meeting, and de-briefing work with the sponsor after the Open
Space Technology meeting. This is because although I think we can have
successful Open Space Technology meetings without this, I prefer to see
every single Open Space Technology meeting as a chance for a longer term
impact, even the development of an Open Space Organization--and I want to
have the foundational pieces put in place well.

Birgitt

Birgitt Williams
Make Genuine Contact!
Dalar Associates: organizational
effectiveness consultants

Striving for Success? Ready to exceed
your expectations?

Contact us for consulting services, training,
conference and meeting facilitation,
and keynote speaking.

www.openspacetechnology.com <http://www.openspacetechnology.com>