I need advice . . .

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 11 09:47:27 PDT 2000

Hi Laurel,
My submission to you is maybe too late to be in the mix of your
considerations. I have only now had the time I wanted to respond to your
item on the list and I want to, very much.

Open Space Technology does wonderfully with conflict, but in my experience,
only if enough time is given. On day one, all of the issues and
opportunities get raised and a chance for discussion (as per the promise of
OST). Usually by the end of Day One, the "dead moose"--what's really going
on, rises to the surface, the issues under the conflict and so on. On Day
two, thanks to the sleep in between and the process, things start to shift
to solution focus rather than just description focus. In other words, people
have felt heard on day one, have wrestled some with grief cycle work, and on
day two, if there is a real willingness to resolve conflict they will move
beyond description (there is a tendency in human nature to love staying in
descriptive and maybe victim, helpless mode in the face of conflict) and
they will move to prescription or solution mode. Some will be there on day
one. Many likely will not get to solution focus until day two. And in the
best of all scenarios, there would be a third morning for convergence and
agreed upon action to move the solution focus beyond the meeting and into
the real life of the organization.

One of my favourite stories of Open Space and conflict resolution is from a
number of years ago when Harrison and I facilitated a conference to do with
Breast Cancer Advocacy. We were told there was "a little conflict". Code
words for "all hell is going to break loose" and we were witness to and
space holders for some of great conflict and conflict resolution. It went
just like I described above, with the conflict really appearing in full
glory by the end of Day One. Day two allowed for posting of more topics, as
always, and this gave a chance for the topics that would clear the air (they
don't seem to get up on day one, not really). It took every bit of our
combined skills as facilitators to hold the space, not to intervene despite
pleas and orders to do so, and to love the group and respect the group so
that they could be encouraged to find their way. In my experience, sacred
work like this cannot be hurried. And in my experience, shortening the time
frame, cutting it up into pieces, etc. is unlikely to be helpful and in fact
will likely  create a situation for more chaos and conflict. Whenever an
Open Space Technology meeting is broken up by days apart, it is really
several meetings --because much of life and change in the environment has
gone on in between.

If it were me, I wouldn't do this meeting in Open Space Technology if it has
to be broken up. I would not think of it as an Open Space Technology
meeting, but merely a self organizing set of meetings. And if it backfires,
it will give a bad memory about Open Space Technology meetings because that
is what people think they have been in.

Open Space Technology works well with conflict but remember the five
conditions for Open Space Technology to work well and the promise of what a
one day, two day, three day meeting will do---each different. This is
precious work we are entrusted with. I think we need to do it wisely and
well and to honour the human beings involved by honouring the space and time
needed, or not do it at all.

Journey well,
Birgitt

Birgitt Williams
Make Genuine Contact!
Dalar Associates: organizational
effectiveness consultants

Striving for Success? Ready to exceed
your expectations?

Contact us for consulting services, training,
conference and meeting facilitation,
and keynote speaking.

www.openspacetechnology.com <http://www.openspacetechnology.com>