new teacher mentorship model

BJ Peters bjpeters at amug.org
Wed Jul 5 10:36:41 PDT 2000

Rhett Hudson/Chris Weaver wrote:

> Dear Susan,
>
> Your reflections on the care that could go into the building of the
> relationships are very helpful.  I had not considered this aspect
> before you raised it.  I received the fine news today that NCTeach
> would like to hire me officially to join the team to plan and
> implement the mentorship aspect of the program over the next year.
> Your comments lead me to the idea of spending time with the planning
> team (which includes people with many years' experience developing
> mentor trainings) to explore the relationship-building elements of
> mentorship.  What does this process look/feel like from the inside?
> What could it be at its best?  Perhaps we can come up with some good
> "guiding questions" to send out to our participants before the first
> Open Space.

Chris-- Thank you for sharing your creativity via this new application
for Open Space. It has "opened space" in my thinking for all sorts of
related possibilities.

Your response to Susan made me think that you might want to consider
doing an Appreciative Inquiry Discovery process to help participants
connect with their own best experiences with the relationship-building
elements of mentorship. I frequently use Appreciative Inquiry with
groups before doing Open Space. It helps with relationship building
itself as well as supporting people to tap their own inner wisdom, share
best practices and co-create their own future.

Blessings and peace --BJ