Convergence Design

Birgitt Bolton birgitt at worldchat.com
Thu Jan 27 08:53:19 PST 2000

Hi Chris,
I'm aware that it is easy to give advice, and yet I know I am not walking in
your shoes. So please ignore this if it doesn't fit.

I think it is important to include everyone who cares to be involved from
the original group in your next step. Those directly involved already moving
into action, the folks from government and so on. I would like to put in a
good word here for folks from government. So far, I've met a number of
highly committed deeply passionate individuals and I see them as part of the
US, not a THEY. All people involved with your Open Space had their own
personal experience and for some, their own personal and unique
transformative moment.

I also know the requirement of the people representing their various
goverment ministries to move things forward within their ministries and like
it or not, they will need to distill the richness created from the Open
Space and write about it in ways that those they report to can get enthused
about (I think of this as meeting people where they are at and not judging
them). One never knows, they might just show up at future open spaces
themselves, be prepared to be surprised, and playful.

My advice in your current situation is that it would be helpful to move your
actions now into Two Steps. ASAP have an Open Space for convergence into
clear action. A time for taking what happened in the first Open Space and
using that "book of procedings" as "the givens" having everyone who cares to
show up (and I agree with Harrison that they should be given the choice)
given the opportunity to move things from that Open Space into action. Their
are variations of what could be done here and the one I would use would be
to initially do voting to get items prioritized and then use these
prioritized items as "the givens" of what will be acted on and then Open the
Space to figure out HOW. You'll need to think through your other givens so
that you know the constraints and supports for moving things into action and
communicate this to the participants right from the beginning.

During this Open Space for action planning, it makes sense that a government
rep would put up the topic of creating what is necessary to move this
through government. And of course whoever wants to attend is exactly the
right people. And assuming their are follow up meetings to actually write
things, in keeping with Open Space, those responsible should invite all
participants of the original open space and get even more inclusive by
inviting anyone else who should be involved, and then get on with the task.
I see that the task needs to be done. The how you get there is critical.

Hope you can understand this. Was hard to make it succinct in e-mail.

Kindest regards,
Birgitt

Birgitt Bolton
www.openspacetechnology.com