an open space love story

Birgitt Bolton birgitt at worldchat.com
Thu Jan 27 08:57:27 PST 2000

Dear Friends and Colleagues in Open Space,

I am writing to ask you to hold space for Ward Williams (also on this list)
and I on Saturday, January 29th, 2000 at sunset (about 5:20 pm) eastern
standard time. At this time, Ward and I will be marrying. My heart is
beating in joy, filled with love as I get ready to go to the airport to pick
Ward up. He lives in North Carolina, USA and is coming to Ontario, Canada
for our marrying. His three children, soon to be my stepchildren (Matt 15,
Lilly 14, and Krista 12) are flying in from New York. My daughter Rachel
will be flying in from Alberta, Canada.

Matt vacationed with us in the Christmas holidays so he has already
connected well with my four children (Rachel 20, Laura 18, David 15, Aaron
14). We are all looking forward to meeting Lilly and Krista and creating
this family unit that includes our 7 amazing young people. For those of you
who have popped in here on your travels, you know that this home is always
teaming with young people (when Father Brian Bainbridge was here for a few
days, he had enough material for a year’s worth of sermons by the time he
left) so both Ward and I happily accept the privilege of doing our part in
the parenting of 7 young people.

Sadly, Ward leaves to go back to North Carolina on Tuesday and from there
will start the process of the legalities of bringing me into the US. It is
our greatest hope that I will be able to join him by summer. In the
meantime, we continue to build up air miles as we visit back and forth.

The coming together of Ward and I is truly an Open Space love story. About a
year ago, on February 13th, I headed to Tennessee to attend the wedding of
my friends Barry and Debbie Owen. Officiated by my friend and Barry’s dad
Harrison Owen. As always, when I go somewhere, if there is a chance for me
to visit other special people in my life too, I do. I looked at the map and
realized it would be a short flight to visit my friend Chandra Christian in
North Carolina (being right next to Tennessee). I met Harrison to learn Open
Space, and in other Open Space events I met and formed deep friendships with
Barry and Chandra— the Open Space story unfolding J . On February 14th,
which is Valentine’s day here, I arrived at Chandra’s and she let me know
her close friend Ward was coming to supper. I had heard of Ward over time
and was pleased to finally meet him, not knowing that Chandra had known for
years that if she could get Ward and I into the same room that we would find
each other in just the way we did. She also knew us each well enough not to
let either of us know of her plan or intentions, knowing neither of us, out
of our strong personal independence, would co-operate. Chandra opened the
space for us, held the space, and let us come forward with our
passion/responsibility. Ward walked in. All of my inner knowing knew that my
life would never be the same from that moment. He hugged me hello, my heart
raced, I moved into instant paralysis of panic knowing that I had somehow
fallen instantly and deeply for this man and not quite knowing how it had
happened nor what to do about it. Ward was having his own experiences.
Neither of us "posted" our passion. I flew back to Canada and on the plane
came out of a dreamlike state and realized I had given Ward absolutely no
indication of any interest. I phoned and left a message for Chandra, in true
Open Space style saying that although she probably only saw Ward as a
friend, he had affected me deeply and could she please let him know I would
like to hear from him if he was interested. She laughed when she got home
and listened to her messages, first one from Ward wondering how to get hold
of me, and immediately thereafter one from me stating my passion. It took
both of us great courage, as it does anyone posting a topic in Open Space,
wondering if anyone will come to the session.

We came together very quickly after that and have been on a wonderful
journey of coming to know one another. Our love is deep. I am honored to
become Ward’s life partner on Saturday. Our ceremony will last most of the
day with our family and a small group of friends, in true Open Space style
in a room with a roaring fire at one side, chairs in a circle. My dear
friend Bill MacKinnon is the minister who will officate the actual marrying,
and he of course is an Open Space facilitator too.

And about Open Space and Ward. I have been on my own for almost eight years,
and during that time I had held a pretty strong position of never marrying
again (never say never) and just to protect myself, I developed a long long
list of the characteristics a partner would have to have to be my partner.
Such a long list that I knew it was impossible to find such a person and I
drew the line in the sand saying I would accept nothing less. And of course
on that list was that the person must live life in Open Space, understand
Open Space, be a facilitator of Open Space, and allow me to continue my own
work with Open Space around the world, as facilitator and as a trainer of
others. To support me in this work and when possible to work together to
promote Opening Space in the world. Through Chandra, Ward already knew of
the importance of Open Space. He lives Open Space and facilitates it for
others as his natural style, and fit naturally with participating at OT and
OSONOS and becoming part of our Open Space Community. Wow! And he not only
met every item on my long long list but superceded many of them. And
continues to surprise and delight me. We will have no shortage of
adventures. And I understood anew another element of Open Space "be prepared
to be surprised":-)

Following my marrying, my name will change from Birgitt Bolton to Birgitt
Williams. And my e-mail will be the new one at birgitt at mindspring.com which
is US based and I will keep after my move.

I am joy filled and filled with deepest gratitude to Mother/Father/Spirit
God for this great gift. I ask you to hold space for us and if you are so
inclined, to keep us in your prayers as we set out on this new phase of our
lives.

Blessings,

Birgitt

Birgitt Bolton