Opening Space "in house"

Murli Nagasundaram rismurli at cobfac.boisestate.edu
Sun Jan 23 22:05:39 PST 2000

After about 6 months lurking about the list serve, I am moved to speak.

Let me begin by saying how much I have enjoyed the stories, thoughts and
insights on this List Serve.  I am guessing that most people get introduced
to OS by attending a workshop or meeting done in Open Space.  A friend of
mine suggested using Open Space for a meeting once, I checked out the web
sight, and signed up for the list serve (I thought to myself, if it is
boring, I can always jump ship).

So to a certain degree, my thoughts about Open Space have been birthed by
you, the OS community (thanks by the way).

I have been living in Asia for more than 12 years, 95% in Taiwan, but also
working some in Thailand, Hong Kong, and Japan.  So as I started to read
about OS, I became hungry for more training and experience.

That hunger led me to Hamilton, Ontario a couple of weeks ago for a
training in Open Space with Birgitt Bolton.  My need was urgent as I wanted
to use OS for an important meeting in February, and she created a training
for myself (and two lovely others, and her dog and two cats!!).  She opened
up a space in me to see the possibility of Open Space in the company I work
for, in myself, and in Asia and the world (universe?) at large.

Having said all that, I do have a couple of questions:

1.  I am curious about how people have used Open Space in their own
companies.  I read Chris' story about the OS in Vancouver and tried to
imagine myself saying no to the "organizer" (our CEO).  (BTW, thanks for
the story Chris, I forwarded that part to my boss just to give him some
context for our meetings in early February).  Are there those on the list
serve that are using OS in their own company, and how do they find the
balance between the role of facilitator and the role of employee.

2.  I am curious about OS in multiple languages.  I want to introduce this
in many areas of our company, most of whom are Chinese.  We also have
offices in Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong, and would like to offer a OS for
people from all areas.  I would love to hear stories of multi-language OS.

3.  I am sure there must be those who are practicing OS in Asia.  I am
particularly interested in experiences in Taiwan, China, Japan, Hong Kong
and Malaysia.  Again, stories and insights would make my day.

Thanks for the wisdom,

Jimbo