How much planning and preparation time do you find you need?

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 17 05:09:29 PST 2000

At 12:01 AM 2/17/00 -0800, you wrote:

>The day after is used for sleeping.  Holding the space is the most
>exhausting thing you can do (just ask any parent!).  I am completely
>incapable of any productive work on the day after an OS, so I just sleep
>the whole day and bill my client for it.  I sort of fudge the wording on
>the contract a little so it clears interal audits and that sort of
>thing.
****************************
Chris -- you are definitely a person after my own heart. I bill the client for
the nap(s) I inevitably take during the event. But I never thought of the day
after. Wonderful!

All of which raise (for me) a very serious issue. Creating space and holding
space takes a lot out of you. Which means there must be a lot there to start,
it is essential to conserve energy as you go along, and when its over -- you
are going to need a break. As we all know, this is not about "doing" a whole
mess of things. God forbid -- if we tried to operate in Open Space with the
sorts of behaviors we used to use (taking care of all the details etc) ---
ultimate fatigue would be the best result.  Rigor mortis is more likely.

Keep napping Chris.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive