Timing / priority arrangement

ralphsc ralphsc at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 14 06:40:32 PST 2000

On Chris's discussion about intervening in groups...

Chris, I think your technique of having your client sit down with you to
observe a group from a small distance is very clever.  In my opinion,
you're defintely barking up the right tree.

And I think there's a good reason for that.  I once had a chat with
someone very familiar with the literature on group process.  She
explained there is clear understanding, apparently from research done
with a series of groups, that once a group gets started, attempts at
interrupting its process produce very negative reactions among the
members.  Suggesting a large group breaks into smaller ones, for example,
will usually be a non-starter.

So, it seems, as Yogi Berra would say, you could look it up.

Ralph Copleman