Safety Leadership

Terry Gibson terry.gibson at virgin.net
Thu Feb 10 03:24:40 PST 2000

Thank you Birgitt (congratulations on your new-found status, BTW) for your wisdom and starting the ball rolling (as ever) from which others have built. And thanks to everyone else who has responded so promptly. Doc is quite right - this is about developing a self organising culture of open communications of which safety is but one beneficiary.

One of my difficulties is that at this stage I am not in face to face contact with a client (several hundred miles away) who requires a single sheet synopsis of how OS can meet his needs. I therefore feel I have to present this as a rational process - along the lines of Birgitt and Michael's responses - but require some pragmatic evidence to back it up.

Ralph's anecdote was helpful and in response to his comment about the clarity of my request, can I now ask for examples I can quote to a client's inevitable questions: "How do I know that this will work? Can you give me examples of where this process has produced results elsewhere in similar circumstances? What were the outcomes that stuck?"

Best wishes to you all
Terry