Community Planning and OS

Virginia Burt visions at interlynx.net
Mon Feb 7 06:21:32 PST 2000

Dear Chris
Thank you for your request and indeed, I have used OST with small (and soon
to be larger!)community planning processes - Birgitt Williams (nee Bolton)
and I collaborate often where I, as a landscape architect specializing in
sacred spaces and therapeutic landscapes deals with the results and design
process and Birgitt as the keeper of OST and all of things related to the
"people" process. I have found in my practice that I will no longer plan
large scale projects without this.

Last June, Birgitt and I have made a paper presentation at the Canadian
Institute of Planners conference and will be published in an upcoming issue
of Plan Canada. My background has been in both planning and landscape
architecture - for example the largest project I have ever worked on is a
city for 100,000 people to small gardens for private clients. It has been my
experience that the people piece is critical to outcomes (funny how that
works!!) and I now stand by OST and process facilitation as part of all my
projects as Spirit is manifest and captures the passion and creativity of
who (singular or group) I am designing for.

In our expereince,  we have learned is that this process can be integrated
into the governing public processes and makes them more effective - one of
the examples in public planning is the hardest part is for politicians to
trust the process....they are often frightenened by the prospect of "once
the toboggan is going down the hill there is no changing the direction or
hill"(to quote Birgitt!).

Chris, if you are still curious, send me your personal email and I will
forward an attachment to you directly with some other pieces. Take care and
great work out there! and of course - do ask Birgitt in person while she out
there with her OST training at the end of this month. Virginia