Open Space at Antioch and in other college/universityenvironments?

Sheila T. Isakson isakson at juno.com
Wed Feb 2 18:38:06 PST 2000

Hi, Kelvie!
       Thanks for identifying what is happening in post secondary
education environments including Antioch.  You asked about others using
OST.  I have had the opportunity to convene an Open Space event involving
approximately 85 doctoral students plus faculty in the College of
Education at Cardinal Stritch University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  The
outcomes include continued conversations about "race relations,"
dissertation topics, and the need to do another one!  I would be happy to
provide more specifics to anyone who cares to ask specific questions.
        On February 19th I will have the opportunity to open spaces for
the quarterly meeting of the adjunct faculty of the College of Business
and Management.  The theme is: "What are the issues and opportunities for
achieving academic excellence."  Since I am a member of the full-time
faculty of the College of Business & Management, I proposed this approach
after sitting through endless faculty meetings with the Dean in full
control of the agenda.  This will be a new experience for all involved,
i.e., entering a faculty meeting without all the agenda items fully
described ahead of time.  Hooray!  I will be happy to share what I have
learned and observed after Feb. 20th.
       So....slowly, we are opening spaces in the halls of academe.  Some
of us have been doing variations of this for a long, long time.  We just
did not call it Open Space Technology.

     You are just across the lake (Lake Michigan) from me, Kelvie!  Come
visit and we'll discuss this some more.  Should others in the Milwaukee,
Wisconsin vacinity care to gather, let's create some Conversations in
Open Space for ourselves.

Sheila
Sheila T. Isakson
Isakson Associates LLP