Laptop free OST

Ingrid Olausson ingrid.olausson at pi.se
Fri Feb 25 02:09:14 PST 2000

Almost all of my 35+ OS have been laptop free. Michael (Hi Michael!) I agree with you that there are several advantages with handwritten reports. Anyone can do that in any situation. But I do it the opposite way. I give the participates the prepared papers in double letter size (A3) and fineliners. This makes it more easy to read the reports on the wall during the OS. Afterwards they can diminish the reports to A4 (letter size), to make them easier to handle if they prefer to copy them. Otherwise they can type them to go into their own intranet or whatever IT they are using. I have done this with very large groups (200-300 people) and it works fine.
Once I had 200 people at a computerspecialized company and of course I suggested that they would use computers for the reports. They said that they absolutely would, but as time passed it was obvious that no one had the time or energy to manage this. So in the end they had to hire ten computers and a person managing them. This turned out to be the most expensive and least productive part of the OS.
Ingrid Olausson, Stockholm, Sweden