How much planning and preparation time do you find you need?

Larry Peterson lpasoc at inforamp.net
Fri Feb 18 09:33:47 PST 2000

To prepare for an Open Space event, I agree with Chris and Harrison that it
takes a day or two of planning and personal preparation, depending on the
client. A day of follow-up is a goal with clients, I also encourage
follow-up Open Space events and some say yes and some no. This is especially
true if it is a conference or meeting.

Some of my clients require other conversations to create the conditions and
theme for space that is focused and really open. They need to translate and
clarify what they want, particularly if the sponsoring group is a "strategic
alliace" of organizations. With those groups coming up with a theme, givens
and clear parameters for action can take a number of days.

Some clients do not come to me for Open Space but for the pursing of a whole
system change. They are not ready to allow everything to emerge, but want
clear intention or focus to frame the emergent. Sometimes they have to let
go of some things before they are ready to Open Space. Or, we discover that
Open Space is not the way to go in their situation.

Larry