Seeking counsel on how to introduce OS in a very short time

BJ Peters bjpeters at amug.org
Tue Feb 15 13:49:59 PST 2000

"Partnow, Susan" wrote:

> I am seeking counsel on how to introduce a group to OS in a very short time.
>
> 1) Does the idea of engaging people in a brief 3 hour OS meeting around this
> topic seem like a feasible and effective way to introduce OST?

I believe this is "doable". Theme might be "Sharing our best performance
management practices"

> 2) Would you recommend one 'longer' OS session time or two short ones, i.e. 1
> x 90 or 2 x 45 minutes?   (Total group size is about 16)

I think shooting for 2 @ 45 minutes each would work. People will have the "law of
two feet" and the principles so they can change that if they choose.

> 3) How does this time frame seem:  45 minutes introduction, opening the
> circle and setting up marketplace, 90 minutes in meetings (1 x 90 or 2/ 45),
> 30 minutes closing, 15 minutes brainstorming potential applications of OS to
> their organizations.

I would open the space WITHOUT an introduction that was any different from any
other OS meeting. Experiencing OS is so much better than hearing about it. This
means you would have an extra 15 minutes to either tack minutes on each discussion
session or use at the end to hear reports and vote on best practices they'd like
to hear more about at another time. I'm also having some "heartburn" around using
the last 15 minutes to brainstorm potential applications AFTER closing the space.
Perhaps they could be invited to share their thoughts on potential applications as
part of the closing.

> 4) This design omits use of the film:  what do you think?

See above comment. I think you don't need the film.

> 5) How would you frame this topic as a 'focus question'?

See #1

> 6) Any suggestions on simple ways to convey the concept of OS for their
> meeting announcement/invitational flyer?

You might use the "promises" contained in one of Harrison's recent postings on
this list - the things you can say about what will happen in the event.

> I have experienced many OS meetings and I have led several - but I have not
> really played this educational role of introducing the form as a tool.  I am
> deeply appreciative for your suggestions!

Don't introduce the form as a tool. Just engage them in the process.

> (This meeting is set for May, so it will be a while before I can share the
> outcome -- but I'll be sure to report back!)

I wish you the best success in opening and holding space for these folks! --BJ