Teachers about Open Space

Meg Salter meg.salter at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 5 09:03:03 PST 2000

Hello Birgitt, and fellow travellers in OpenSpace

Thich Nhat Hanh is wonderful at adapting Buddhist teachings to the
contemporary environment, and in particular in applying mindfulness
("Holding space"?) in everyday life.

Ken Wilbur has written prolifically. A key message for me from his writings
is that as Spirit unfolds over time, the dimensions of our consciousness
grow larger, the beings whom we consider worthy of embrace (love and
respect) grow ever more numerous, until we see ourselves as inter-being with
all sentience. "No Boundaries" is an older work of his, and talks very much
about expanding boundaries (~opening space) in our understandings of self
and other. He writes a book every year or two; and they just keep on getting
more lucid!

Most of the Buddhist teachings that I come across will refer in various
phrases to the dual motions of heart-mind; compassion and clarity, love and
wisdom, ascending and descending energy,.... and then the notion of
detachment/ emptiness/ transparency /  that allows one to perceive the
non-duality of seeming opposites. (also akin to holding paradox).

So - these are some of my teachers along the way!

Meg Salter