OST for learning only

John Wilson jwilson at spiritvaults.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Dec 4 05:27:16 PST 2000

Dear Friends

I have just joined the OS list and am thoroughly enjoying working my way through the archives, what rich veins of experience in there. I am also a relative novice to running Open Space Technology events.

Yesterday there was a call for articles on experiences with Open Space for an online newsletter. I have written one on an experience I had in Zambia. When I had written it I suddenly recalled having read somewhere that Open Space Technology workshops are not appropriate just for learning purposes. I cannot recall where I read this (and maybe I'm imagining it).

With some others I was responsible for setting up a regional association of local non-governemnt organisations (NGOs) in east and southern Africa. The aim of the association is to promote learning and networking between members (who tend to work in isolation). There are various ways in which this is happening, one of which is for practitioners to come toegether and share with each other at workshops. These workshops are based on a theme such as "setting up participatory monitoring systems" or "Be a better facilitator" or "fundraising". The workshops have proved to be times of rich learning between participants. I can see Open Space being used to make this experience a whole lot richer. But the aim would be purley for learning - though at the end individuals may develop their own action plans in terms of what they would do differently. Does anyone have a comment on this? Is there a problem using Open Space Technology purely for learning purposes?

(I also see the Assocaiton using Open Space Technology as an effective way to run its Biennial General Meeting - this would not be just for learning but also for action into the future for the association).

With best wishes

John Wilson.