Open Space

Peggy Holman pholman at msn.com
Thu Aug 31 16:46:41 PDT 2000

Kathleen,

Congratulations on taking this step.  May the OS come together for you.

>I also suggested to her that we invite parents and the kids.  The students
are 4th adn 5th graders

A few years ago, I was part of doing an OS called "Nourishing Our Schools".
We had a few kids there and they added a great deal.  There was a quality of
repsectful listening between adults and children that I've rarely witnessed.
As I'm sure you've seen on this list, many people have included children
with great results.  Michael Pannwitz has a wonderful video of an OS that
was primarily with children.

>I suggested a Friday night through Monday
> afternoon to have plenty of time for storytelling, generating energy and
> ideas and convergence.  It also will take up a whole holiday weekend for
> them.  I also suggested we needed at least 12 people in order to make it
> work.

We found teachers VERY reluctant to give up vacation time for Nourishing Our
Schools as this kind of time is so precious to them.  It would be wonderful
if you could work it into some sort of in-service days instead.

Best of success!

Peggy

2.  Sign in and Proceed

Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 09:36:40 -0400
To: OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
From: Larry Peterson <lpasoc at inforamp.net>
Subject: Re: Open Space

Kathleen:

Schools and teachers are a great place to Open Space.  All the best.

In two weeks I'll be Opening Space with about 150 administrators, teachers,
students, and community leaders (including the Police) on "Safe Schools".
We are doing this on Friday afternoon and Saturday.  Not the best time for
energy but it's just the beginning of the school year.  It should be quite a
discussion.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation
41 Appleton Ave., Toronto, ON,
Canada, M6E 3A4
Tel:/Fax: 416-653-4829

lpasoc at inforamp.net
http://www.inforamp.net/~lpasoc

2.  Sign in and Proceed

Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 22:28:30 -0400
To: OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
From: Birgitt Williams <birgitt at mindspring.com>
Subject: when a client hires Open Space Technology, is this what she gets?

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C0152D.1F312540

Today I received a call, similar to others I have received, in which an
organization has hired a consultant to facilitate an Open Space Technology
meeting. The decision to hire the consultant and to use the process was made
at a senior management level. The contract is in place. The story, one that
I have had to deal with before (this is the third time in the last 6 weeks),
is that the senior manager has been in discussion with another manager who
has used OST and the discussion led to the satisfaction that the other
manager had because of the convergence and action planning process at the
end of the meeting. The senior manager who phoned me realized that there was
no plan for this type of convergence in the contract. When she had phoned
the consultant, the manager discovered that the consultant did not know what
she was speaking of. This caused the manager to go onto the internet to find
out a little more, came upon my website, and wanted to know if she had hired
a consultant who would do a good job and deliver Open Space Technology as
she now understood it to be.

The name of the consultant was unfamiliar to me. I have no idea what the
consultant does that he calls Open Space Technology. I do know he charged a
lot. I said I did not know the consultant, couldn't speak for his work, and
then I e-mailed the manager a list of what key ingredients would be in an
Open Space Technology meeting and suggested questions that she ask of the
consultant. She phoned me back and wanted to know about standards of
performance. She said that she had hired Open Space Technology, in good
faith, because she was convinced it was the right thing to do. She assumed
that this is what she would get from someone who provided Open Space
Technology.

I believe strongly that situations such as this are going to cause a
backlash against Open Space Technology. I stand even more firmly in my
belief that each facilitator of Open Space Technology will facilitate in
accordance with his/her uniqueness as well as with his/her interpretation
and perception of what Open Space Technology is AND that certain key
ingredients must be attended to.

Years ago, when I worked in social services, the various agencies were
working hard, doing good works, and were filled with pride but not
necessarily focused on meeting the needs of the clients, working with the
clients on what the clients wanted. I feel the same at this moment about the
way we are offering Open Space Technology. Are we the ones interpreting the
needs of the clients in the same way social services did? Or are we
listening to what the clients want and meeting their needs? What if one of
their needs is assurance that if they hire Open Space Technology, that this
is what they will actually get? To date, in my experience, we do not offer
this. The client gets whatever the consultant chooses to deliver and calls
Open Space or Open Space Technology.

Birgitt

Birgitt Williams
Make Genuine Contact!
Dalar Associates: organizational
effectiveness consultants

Striving for Success? Ready to exceed
your expectations?

Contact us for consulting services, training,
conference and meeting facilitation,
and keynote speaking.

www.openspacetechnology.com

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C0152D.1F312540

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D980421323-01092000>Today =
I received a=20
call, similar to others I have received, in which an organization has =
hired a=20
consultant to facilitate an Open Space Technology meeting. The decision =
to hire=20
the consultant and to use the process was made at a senior management =
level. The=20
contract is in place. The story, one that I have had to deal with before =
(this=20
is the third time in the last 6 weeks), is that the senior manager has =
been in=20
discussion with another manager who has used OST and the discussion led =
to the=20
satisfaction that the other manager had because of the convergence and =
action=20
planning process at the end of the meeting. The senior manager who =
phoned me=20
realized that there was no plan for this type of convergence in the =
contract.=20
When she had phoned the consultant, the manager discovered that the =
consultant=20
did not know what she was speaking of. This caused the manager to go =
onto the=20
internet to find out a little more, came upon my website, and wanted to =
know if=20
she had hired a consultant who would do a good job and deliver Open =
Space=20
Technology as she now understood it to be.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D980421323-01092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D980421323-01092000>The =
name of the=20
consultant was unfamiliar to me. I have no idea what the consultant does =
that he=20
calls Open Space Technology. I do know he charged a lot. I said I did =
not know=20
the consultant, couldn't speak for his work, and then I e-mailed the =
manager a=20
list of what key ingredients would be in an Open Space Technology =
meeting and=20
suggested questions that she ask of the consultant. She phoned me back =
and=20
wanted to know about standards of performance. She said that she had =
hired Open=20
Space Technology, in good faith, because she was convinced it was the =
right=20
thing to do. She assumed that this is what she would get from someone =
who=20
provided Open Space Technology.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D980421323-01092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D980421323-01092000>I =
believe strongly=20
that situations such as this are going to cause a backlash against Open =
Space=20
Technology. I stand even more firmly in my belief that each facilitator =
of Open=20
Space Technology will facilitate in accordance with his/her uniqueness =
as well=20
as with his/her interpretation and perception of what Open Space =
Technology is=20
AND that certain key ingredients must be attended =
to.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D980421323-01092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D980421323-01092000>Years =
ago, when I=20
worked in social services, the various agencies were working hard, doing =
good=20
works, and were filled with pride but not necessarily focused on meeting =
the=20
needs of the clients, working with the clients on what the clients =
wanted. I=20
feel the same at this moment about the way we are offering Open Space=20
Technology. Are we the ones interpreting the needs of the clients in the =
same=20
way social services did? Or are we listening to what the clients want =
and=20
meeting their needs? What if one of their needs is assurance that if =
they hire=20
Open Space Technology, that this is what they will actually get? To =
date, in my=20
experience, we do not offer this. The client gets whatever the =
consultant=20
chooses to deliver and calls Open Space or Open Space=20
Technology.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D980421323-01092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D980421323-01092000>Birgitt</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D980421323-01092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D980421323-01092000></SPAN></FONT><FONT=20
face=3D"Arial Black" size=3D2>Birgitt Williams</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Arial Black" size=3D2>Make Genuine =
Contact!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Arial Black" size=3D2>Dalar Associates: =
organizational=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Arial Black" size=3D2>effectiveness =
consultants</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Arial Black" size=3D2>Striving for Success? Ready to =
exceed=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Arial Black" size=3D2>your expectations?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Arial Black" size=3D2>Contact us for consulting =
services,=20
</FONT><FONT face=3D"Arial Black" size=3D2>training, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Arial Black" size=3D2>conference and meeting =
facilitation,=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Arial Black" size=3D2>and keynote =
speaking.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Arial Black" size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.openspacetechnology.com/">www.openspacetechnology.com<=
/A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV></BODY></HTML>

Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 22:28:37 -0400
To: OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
From: Birgitt Williams <birgitt at mindspring.com>
Subject: change

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C0152D.23371D20

Dear friends and colleagues,
I pose some thoughts here about CHANGE.

In our western culture, I find that change is a negative word. When was  the
last time you heard someone say "you've changed" and meant it as a
compliment. Usually it is meant as a negative. "You've changed and you no
longer fit the illusion I have of you."  " You've changed and you no longer
meet my needs."  " You've changed and I will do everything in my power to
get you to change back again."

In our western culture, I find that when people leave a marriage, it is
often because one or the other or both persons thought that they could
change the other. When the change did not happen, the marriage didn't last.
People rarely marry each other, accepting each other just as he/she is.  OR
people marry each other and accept each other just as he/she is and then
when one or the other or both partners grow and evolve and CHANGE, the
people involved don't cope with it, like a promise has been broken.

As individuals, as couples, as families, if we are truly alive, change is a
constant. And yet we are ill-equipped to work with change in a way that is
accepting and celebrating of it. I say "if we are truly alive" which for me
means seeking living that is life nurturing rather than life depleting. I
see so many many individuals that have joined "the procession of the living
dead". Was CHANGE a factor in their choice to hide themselves in jobs that
are life depleting, in their tv sets because they cannot cope with the real
world around them, in their addictions. I know this is much more complex
than I am suggesting here. I am simply postulating that CHANGE and the
incapacity to work with change, navigate with change, celebrate change is A
factor.

Now comes the part where I shift my ponderings to organizations. Change
management is an oxymoron. Change cannot be managed and yet there are many
consultants who sell themselves as "change managers" or their programs as
"change management programs". Organizations like to hire them. It feels
safe, I guess, to believe in the illusion that change can be managed.

And then I think about whenever anyone has tried to CHANGE me from an
external perspective. The rebel in me surfaces, the warrior surfaces, and I
dig my heels in. And yet I am a person who has CHANGED many many many times
over in this lifetime. I am firmly committed to my growth and evolution and
trusting Spirit and being in the moment with whatever the moment brings. My
change comes from my commitment, my willingness, my discipline, my
irreverence, my heart and body and mind and soul, my essence. Because I want
to be all that I can be. I seek out my mentors, I place intentions to the
universe, I enter into relationships that will help me learn and grow and
that are life giving to me. It is my CHOICE to change. And I have the wisdom
to seek what I need to go along as far as I can and am ready for. Not
because someone else has determined what is right or good for me from their
perception. Sometimes I go fast, sometimes I go slow, and sometimes it looks
like I am not moving at all. All takes place in its right time. I know that
when I allow someone to assist me in my personal growth, it is because I
feel understood, accepted, and loved just for who I am at this moment.

And despite people saying "you've changed", I wonder if I have changed or
simply cast away more of my veils, my shields, my false clothes to be more
of who I already am. To stand in my fullness, my authenticity, my integrity
to the extent that I have made contact with the deep in me. I peel away
illusions and get to what is already present. Aside from my body aging,
maybe I don't change at all.

This affects how I approach working with organizations.

Birgitt

Birgitt Williams
Make Genuine Contact!
Dalar Associates: organizational
effectiveness consultants

Striving for Success? Ready to exceed
your expectations?

Contact us for consulting services, training,
conference and meeting facilitation,
and keynote speaking.

www.openspacetechnology.com

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C0152D.23371D20

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D890383223-01092000>Dear =
friends and=20
colleagues,</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D890383223-01092000>I pose =
some thoughts=20
here about CHANGE.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D890383223-01092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D890383223-01092000>In our =
western=20
culture, I find that <U>change</U> is a negative word. When was  =
the last=20
time you heard someone say "you've changed" and meant it as a =
compliment.=20
Usually it is meant as a negative. "You've changed and you no longer fit =
the=20
illusion I have of you."  " You've changed and you no longer meet =
my=20
needs."  " You've changed and I will do everything in my power to =
get you=20
to change back again."</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D890383223-01092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D890383223-01092000>In our =
western=20
culture, I find that when people leave a marriage, it is often because =
one or=20
the other or both persons thought that they could change the other. When =
the=20
change did not happen, the marriage didn't last. People rarely marry =
each other,=20
accepting each other just as he/she is.  OR people marry each other =
and=20
accept each other just as he/she is and then when one or the other or =
both=20
partners grow and evolve and CHANGE, the people involved don't cope with =
it,=20
like a promise has been broken.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D890383223-01092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D890383223-01092000>As =
individuals, as=20
couples, as families, if we are truly alive, change is a constant. And =
yet we=20
are ill-equipped to work with change in a way that is accepting and =
celebrating=20
of it. I say "if we are truly alive" which for me means seeking living =
that is=20
life nurturing rather than life depleting. I see so many many =
individuals that=20
have joined "the procession of the living dead". Was CHANGE a factor in =
their=20
choice to hide themselves in jobs that are life depleting, in their tv =
sets=20
because they cannot cope with the real world around them, in their =
addictions. I=20
know this is much more complex than I am suggesting here. I am simply=20
postulating that CHANGE and the incapacity to work with change, navigate =
with=20
change, celebrate change is A factor.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D890383223-01092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D890383223-01092000>Now =
comes the part=20
where I shift my ponderings to organizations. Change management is an =
oxymoron.=20
Change cannot be managed and yet there are many consultants who sell =
themselves=20
as "change managers" or their programs as "change management programs".=20
Organizations like to hire them. It feels safe, I guess, to believe in =
the=20
illusion that change can be managed.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D890383223-01092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D890383223-01092000>And =
then I think=20
about whenever anyone has tried to CHANGE me from an external =
perspective. The=20
rebel in me surfaces, the warrior surfaces, and I dig my heels in. And =
yet I am=20
a person who has CHANGED many many many times over in this lifetime. I =
am firmly=20
committed to my growth and evolution and trusting Spirit and being in =
the moment=20
with whatever the moment brings. My change comes from my commitment, my=20
willingness, my discipline, my irreverence, my heart and body and mind =
and soul,=20
my essence. Because I want to be all that I can be. I seek out my =
mentors, I=20
place intentions to the universe, I enter into relationships that will =
help me=20
learn and grow and that are life giving to me. It is my CHOICE to =
change. And I=20
have the wisdom to seek what I need to go along as far as I can and am =
ready=20
for. Not because someone else has determined what is right or good for =
me from=20
their perception. Sometimes I go fast, sometimes I go slow, and =
sometimes it=20
looks like I am not moving at all. All takes place in its right time. I =
know=20
that when I allow someone to assist me in my personal growth, it is =
because I=20
feel understood, accepted, and loved just for who I am at this=20
moment.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D890383223-01092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D890383223-01092000>And =
despite people=20
saying "you've changed", I wonder if I have changed or simply cast away =
more of=20
my veils, my shields, my false clothes to be more of who I already am. =
To stand=20
in my fullness, my authenticity, my integrity to the extent that I have =
made=20
contact with the deep in me. I peel away illusions and get to what is =
already=20
present. Aside from my body aging, maybe I don't change at=20
all.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D890383223-01092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D890383223-01092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D890383223-01092000>This =
affects how I=20
approach working with organizations.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D890383223-01092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D890383223-01092000>Birgitt</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D890383223-01092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Arial Black" size=3D2>Birgitt Williams</FONT></DIV>

Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 22:28:41 -0400
To: OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
From: Birgitt Williams <birgitt at mindspring.com>
Subject: open space technology and peace

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C0152D.25796C00

Dear friends and colleagues,
when I was first trained in Open Space Technology by Harrison, I made a
commitment. My commitment was to do as many Open Space Technology meetings
in the world as possible and encourage as many others as possible to
facilitate OST meetings. My belief was and is that if there are enough Open
Space Technology meetings in the world that enough people participate in
them, WE WILL ACHIEVE WORLD PEACE.  I believe that the only reason we don't
have PEACE is because we as a people have not yet chosen PEACE as our
preference.

In Open Space Technology meetings, people access their inner greatness. I
have witnessed time and again, the desire to resolve conflicts, to move
beyond judgement. A comment that I hear frequently is "in this meeting, I
was heard". People want to be heard, understood, accepted and loved. People
seek love. It is my belief that behaviours and attitudes shift as a result
of being in Open Space Technology meetings, no matter what the subject
matter.It doesn't actually have to be about PEACE.

I desire peace and harmony in the world. I commit again to doing as much
work with Open Space Technology as possible in my quest for Peace and as
something I can offer. I cannot bring someone to wanting peace. I can,
however, offer the opportunity for them to get to this point themselves.

Birgitt

Birgitt Williams
Make Genuine Contact!
Dalar Associates: organizational
effectiveness consultants

Striving for Success? Ready to exceed
your expectations?

Contact us for consulting services, training,
conference and meeting facilitation,
and keynote speaking.

www.openspacetechnology.com

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C0152D.25796C00

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D890223901-02092000>Dear =
friends and=20
colleagues,</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D890223901-02092000>when I =
was first=20
trained in Open Space Technology by Harrison, I made a commitment. My =
commitment=20
was to do as many Open Space Technology meetings in the world as =
possible and=20
encourage as many others as possible to facilitate OST meetings. My =
belief was=20
and is that if there are enough Open Space Technology meetings in the =
world that=20
enough people participate in them, WE WILL ACHIEVE WORLD PEACE.  I =
believe=20
that the only reason we don't have PEACE is because we as a people have =
not yet=20
chosen PEACE as our preference. </SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Arial =
Black"></FONT></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D890223901-02092000>In =
Open Space=20
Technology meetings, people access their inner greatness. I have =
witnessed time=20
and again, the desire to resolve conflicts, to move beyond judgement. A =
comment=20
that I hear frequently is "in this meeting, I was heard". People want to =
be=20
heard, understood, accepted and loved. People seek love. It is my belief =
that=20
behaviours and attitudes shift as a result of being in Open Space =
Technology=20
meetings, no matter what the subject matter.It doesn't actually have to =
be about=20
PEACE.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D890223901-02092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D890223901-02092000>I =
desire peace and=20
harmony in the world. I commit again to doing as much work with Open =
Space=20
Technology as possible in my quest for Peace and as something I can =
offer. I=20
cannot bring someone to wanting peace. I can, however, offer the =
opportunity for=20
them to get to this point themselves.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D890223901-02092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D890223901-02092000>Birgitt</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D890223901-02092000></SPAN></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Arial Black">Birgitt =
Williams</FONT></FONT></DIV>