architecture

David Koehler Nsdmk at aol.com
Thu Aug 10 08:06:55 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/8/00 11:27:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
rhett&chris at main.nc.us writes:

<< Wouldn't it be wonderful if some architects worked to design an ideal
 community building expressly for Open Space events?

Chris,

I personally like really big spaces so that the discussions can take place
all in one room.  This allows butterflies and bumble bees a chance to be at
their best.  The largest room we've done open space in was in 1997 when we
had a city-wide Neighborhood Summit.  Over 400 came to the Civic Center
Exhibit Hall (64,000 square feet, 160' X 400') for a three evening event.  It
was very impressive to see.  Our local newspaper had a picture of the large
circle of people on the front page the next day.

This allowed for the food buffet tables to be set in the hall, along with the
computer bank, the market place and bulletin board wall, along with 25 easels
for the discussions.  The whole event was like a big circus.  Very exciting
and a lot of energy.

One side story:  A group of slum landlords came to try and disrupt the event,
thinking they could intimidate people and bully them.  The Law of Mobility
worked beautifully.  Soon after the slumlords invaded a conversation, they
were soon left to talk to themselves.  They finally left the event,
disapointed that they had no impact at all in trying to disrupt the event.

Again, in terms of architecture, I like being able to view everything in a
single room.  I have since the 1997 event, done OST in school gyms, in
cafeterias etc., and I find that a big space helps to give everyone the space
needed for having "open space."

Thanks,
Dave Koehler