In Appreciation of OS

Richard Norris rnorris at digital.net
Fri Apr 28 15:27:05 PDT 2000

Dave,

I too am Certified Federal Workforce Mediator (trained by the Atlanta
Justice Center).  Have you ever thought about Open Space being a form of
mediation.  I believe a good mediator in essence Opens Space and then holds
it for the party's to reach their own mutual agreements.  Possibilities?

Rich Norris

At 01:39 PM 4/28/00 EDT, you wrote:
>To All,
>
>What highlights the OS experience is to be in an event that is not.  I just
>returned from a three day conference sponsored by the FMCS (Federal Mediation
>and Conciliation Service) in Chicago.  This is a bi-annual event and draws
>more than 2,000 people from mostly the USA.  (FMCS is a department of the
>federal government and is responsible for mediation in contract disputes
>between labor unions and management).
>
>All the sessions have been planned for months and months.  In fact, people
>have to submit proposals in order to be invited to present.  During the two
>full days of the conference, there are three scheduled break out periods,
>with  10 to 12 different sessions on various subjects.  The presenters
>usually present for about an hour, and then a few minutes are left in each
>session for Q & A.
>
>Since this is part of my job, I am expected to attend.  After three days, I
>can honestly say that I did have a meaningful conversation with anyone, other
>than the folks I already knew, which happened at lunch or dinner.  Here we
>had 2,000 very talented and experienced participants, all with stories to
>tell, and no way to get those stories out (unless you happened to be a
>presenter).  What a waste of time and talent.
>
>In my pre-OS enlightenment days, I probably would have come back home and
>said, "Oh yeah, it was a good conference."  Today all I can feel is
>disappointment.  Even worse, I feel that a wonderful opportunity was missed.
>Thank goodness for all of you to give me hope.
>
>Thanks,
>Dave Koehler

Rich Norris
Satellite Beach, Florida