Article request

Marks McAvity mcavity at jetstream.net
Tue Apr 25 09:15:12 PDT 2000

Hi Rich,

I think that it was primarily the freedom to set up their agenda of
concerns- somehow clearing the way for the decisive stuff they had to do
over the next few days- in a fair, open, "democratic", and non-controversial
way.

I might say that they did some "unconventional" things- like crashing three
breakout groups together at the last minute- they individually didn't really
want to miss anything. And they wanted to go on so long with their last
discussion that we never did really have closure- of course they weren't
going away anywhere physically , and it was easy to do a different kind of
closure- more of a
rite of passage the next day. Amusingly, in fact, that last prolonged
discussion went on so long- food and guests started to arrive and even a
beginning of what would have been a feeble closure that night by me was
pre-empted with one of them announcing "WHEN IT'S OVER, IT'S OVER". That
along with the feast and guests, and the "rite" the next morning was more
than adequte closure to the Space.

This age group doesn't like anything phony. For example, in the end, some of
their discussions ended up being such a flow of consciousness coming out
deep mutual
awareness of what the issues were, that they unilaterally and almost
subconsciouly abondoned the notion of full proceedings BUT when they came to
really fresh meaty ideas, they spontaneously took to full flipchart
recording
with constant amending on the spot from everyone. These sheets informed our
post Open
Space discussions over the next two days incredibly well, demonstrating the
worth of the OST process itself ( and its timing for our 4-day planning
retreat), as well as the need for flexibility, particularily with a group
like this - bright, caring people in their 20's.

Hope that that helps. I'd be interested in hearing how your session
develops.

Cheers,

Marks

Marks & Margaret McAvity