Racism and Open Space

Chris Corrigan corcom at interchange.ubc.ca
Tue Apr 18 14:29:15 PDT 2000

Hello:

So Open Space was initially developed by a white man after spending time
in West Africa
and observing community processes, and is now practiced by First Nations
people like me
who repeatedly get a sense of "bringing it on home" from the Open Spaces
that we do.  I
know of at least four other First Nations OS practitioners in south
western BC, and I'm
about to train another 40.  We have used OST with communities,
organizations,
government, First Nations and corporations.  We have had all kinds of
people
participate.

Sometimes it's about breaking down barriers, sometimes it's about
putting up guards.
Mostly it's about problem solving, working with Spirit and doing great
things.

I have never been in an Open Space where it was only white people in the
circle, so I
don't know what that would be like.  On the other hand, I sometimes have
a hard time
telling who's white and who isn't, which would give me a heart attack if
I cared.  My
own pale countenance is confusing enough to me...

I absolutely, truly and deeply believe that OS is not a racist
construct, or even one
which aligns itself with the institutional stuructures of racism and
oppression (where
is my Althusser???).  It works with structures that are natural,
systemic, equitable,
diffuse, inclusive, circular, non hierarchical, consensual, and
generally difficult to
dominate, control or stifle with an agenda, implicit or otherwise.
Believe me, I've
seen it tried.  I suppose one could open space for the Aryan Nations,
just as easily as
I open it for First Nations, but that doesn't implicate the process.

i appreciate your inquiry, Nancie.  I don't mean to sound filppant, and
you might be new
to the list.  I have been inundating my poor cyber correspondants for
months now about
the way OS is being used with Aboriginal groups here in British
Columbia, during the
course of which other folks have chimed in with similar experiences with
Salish, Cree,
Inuit groups and others.

All it means is this is how I am using OS, and as a bisexual
Ojibway/Irish/Manx person
of colour (although a very light colour), I can assure you that somehow
I'm making a
living at it.  I also do a whole bunch of other stuff, which I share
with people on
other mailing lists.  I don't think that OS is a movement, and so I
don't think that it
can fall prey to the kinds of things you mention that happened to the
feminist
movement.  It's just not a movement...our little list is just a
community of
practitioners with too much time on their hands (!), and out of the 10
or 15 people I
know personally who do Open Space, I'm the only one on the list.

Anyway, keep thinking this stuff through, and I'll continue to share
with you (as I
promised to you off list) the stories of my journey with the Aboriginal
youth I'm about
to emabrk on.  And I'm curious to hear what you learn...

Chris

PS  To Bert:  There is A LOT of racism here in British Columbia directed
at First Nations people and communities.  You would probably be
surprised just how much given how Canada loves to portray itself as a
country of peace, tolerance and diversity (which it also is).  Anyway,
we deal with it, and although it can be frustrating, it doesn't hold us
back for long.  CJC

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN
108-1035 Pacific Street